Reproofing boat cover

share hints, tips and experiences
phil58490

Reproofing boat cover

Post by phil58490 »

I have a very sound, well fitting cover for my Solo but it is a bit grubby and seems to let water penetrate during heavy rain. The canvas also seems to soak up the water and stays wet. I have seen that there are many reproofing products advertised but can anyone recommend products that they have used that work on boat covers.

Thanks, Phil
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
SoggyBadger

Re: Reproofing boat cover

Post by SoggyBadger »

If it's a cotton duck cover then it has to soak up water to become water-tight. This is because as the fibres get wet they swell and press together harder. That's the theory anyway.

I've always found that the main water penetration occurs when water puddles on the cover. No canvas proofing will stop this sort of penetration. The key is to make sure that there's enough of a slope that water can run straight off.
Best wishes

SB
Pat

Post by Pat »

If it's cotton or polycotton canvas try Fabsil from the camping shops. I've used it successfully on our tents both canvas and nylon. Spray on with a garden sprayer for best coverage.
Also we've stood tyres up under the cover to prop up the cover and stop puddling - the extra weight helps keep the boat stable too.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
clibb

Post by clibb »

Thompsons Water Seal, from Wickes, is a good product. Comes in various size cans, and is easy to apply.

Nick
Int 14 - 839
thommo

Post by thommo »

I am hoping to improve leaks around the slots where the shrouds pass through on my similar cover on my solo. The deck gets wet as there are no collars round the wire stays. I am going to try lifting the cover with a cord so the rain goes left or right round the holes.
As it stays out all winter it is a worry.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Would cutting a tennis ball in half, then putting a cut to the middle and slotting them onto the shrouds above the cover help? Water then runs down round the ball and onto the cover.
Rupert
thommo

Post by thommo »

Thanks Rupert I will try that with it under the cover as otherwise water would run down the cover from up by the boom. I will try and post some pictures so you can see what I mean.