Restoration of the Year

share hints, tips and experiences
chris

Re: Restoration of the Year

Post by chris »

Thank you all, please keep voting and pass the word around.
Yes Classic Boat Mag seems to sideline dinghies totally, yet dinghies are boats and they can be classic. Apparently they have shrunk and sidelined David's article to next to nothing and tucked it right away.
keithr

Post by keithr »

voted.

Keep me away from it though Chris, I still feel guilty about Bristol though su still reminds me of my
trying to sneak back into the hotel in wet clothes!!!.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Voted (for Gently). Also liked/voted for the Shannon One Design, "Fixitor" (Soo cool Powerboat, in Varnish topsides and BRG Hull. Love it!!) and the Buzzards bay 18ft. I also voted for Cockwells Boatyard.

Lots of sucking up on the nominations I thought to V.rich hedge fund managers/owners who want to buy success rather than earn it... or pay someone else to give/find them the "Golden Ticket."

Not that I have anything against paying for work (wether or not you can afford it and you are putting a boat back on the water,) or I would be something of a hypocrit...,

But...CBM is looking increasingly like a coffee table book for Private Plastic surgeons waiting rooms!
Michael Brigg
roger

Post by roger »

At the first Bosham event there was a representative from CB as they were sponering the event and judging the Concourse. I asked him why they didnt follow the classic dinghy scene and he said he didnt know. He spent two days at Bosham and seemed to enjoy the event and when the event was written up a very small picture and 70 words.
Shame really. There is no doubt he had good taste(he chose Shoestring as winner of the concourse :oops: ) and he appeared very interested in all the boats but may be they dont regard dinghies as their advertisers market.

ps Angie has voted as well and Hugh has mailed all of Budworth sailing club.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'm sorry about this but can I assure you that it is not for the want of trying!

I've got some wonderful material (written I hope with more of an eye for syntax and 'customer readability') but no takers! From what I am hearing the news owners of both CB and Y&Y are looking to move more into the 'lifestyle' area. Now I happen to think (and the strength of the comments expressed in many of the threads here tells me I'm on the right track) that Classic Dinghies ARE a 'lifestyle' activity.....

All at Sea like the classic scene but other, more commercial outlets are not so keen - except that one of the other major mags (used to be famous for sponsoring new dinghy designs that they then prefixed with their own name) has signed me up to look at a major series on the 'local area' one designs.....

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I suspect we are a lifestyle activity that doesn't sell advertizing. Luckily, we have the internet, and people like Neil, Pat and Ed who understand how it works!

Y&Y is an odd one. The magazine swallows DSM whole and then carries on with very little dinghy related stuff (though I guess if there are no new and interesting dinghies out, the New Boats bit will have to be renderings of impossibly expensive yachts that don't exist), yet the website (whatever you think of the attitudes) is dominated by dinghy sailors. Maybe it works both ways - the mags have little to offer dinghy sailors because dinghy sailors have little to interest the mags - most of us just want to go sailing and chat about it, which is much better suited to a forum like this or Y&Y than to a glossy mag.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Dinghy sailors are probably also more canny with less disposable income - the annual sub for a glossy mag will pay for dinghy parking at the sailing club for example. Read about it or do it?
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Just brought Y&Y
What a joke, very over priced for content. Even the National and World Championship reports are reduced to a box 8cm by 10cm. However a Report on a Super yacht has over 3 page!!!. Life style for Who!!! not the common man or even the middle classes or well off but the super rich. Am I that interested in what the latest type of fashionable ashore wear is no who cares a flyiing ...........
Cheers Al
Bring back Dinghy Sailor. Or a good project would be to set up an on line Mag with content sent in by local reporters ( Club secs. and competitors free contributions from class secs etc.),. Would it be viable if online advertising were sold?
Cheers Al
davidh

Post by davidh »

Given your location Al, I'd say that you would have better chance of tracking down the Holy Grail (or given your proclivities, searching for Faireys (Finns) at the bottom of the garden) that coming up with a workable model for your idea, which is a shame as the thinking behind your idea is sound.

There have been a number of attempts to date to launch on line mags, the best so far are the Andy Rice 'Sail Juice' and the NZ 'sail world' edited by the excellent Richard Gladwell but these aside, none of them have really flourished.

By the time you've factored in an Editor, someone to actually 'run' the site and a budget for some reasonable quality journalistic content you're probably looking at needing to pull in £5,000 per month - yep, a cool £60k PA and that is before you even think of breaking even. It is the same arguement that Rupert Murdoch had when he started charging people to access the Times on Line: (no, it wasn't to pay for the 'Bungs' they were giving to the Met Police!) - "as he said, "who will pay the journalists to write the stories that you all want to read".

Sadly, dinghy sailing is all the poorer for the state we're in - never before has the sport not had 'a voice'. I've now had my wings clipped, having been censored for daring to suggest that the Olympic Regatta this summer actually had little to do with the wider sport of dinghy sailing and this simply highlights the other issue facing the sailing 'media'; If you rely almost exclusively on advertising, then you will quickly find that your editorial direction will be determined largely by the demands of your primary sponsors - there would be little opportunity for the abrasive jack Knights style of probing and questioning comments (let alone pricking the egos of some of the sports prima donnas)

so bottom line Al, it ain't going to happen anytime soon!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Y&Y website has a lot more about dinghies than the mag does, but it tends just be been what has happened and what will happen, not anything with opinions - that is harder, but for all I know, Mark J would welcome stuff. David probably know, though.
For the classic boat scene, we already have the vehicle - the cvrda site - we just need to write stuff for the home page more often - reports of events, future events that cvrda people might be interested in, articles on training, on the history of particular boats, all sorts of stuff could be up there, and then accessable as a resource for the future. The problem is that we run out of ideas and, mostly, imputus, so it needs lots of people writing a little. Even opinionated stuff is fine - look how for the thread on the future has gone on for, and we only actually disagree by a matter of degrees.
Yes, we won't get professional standards of writing all the time, and it will be on a small scale but we will get interesting stuff, and as David posted while I was writing this, a "proper" online mag is unlikely to ever work.
Rupert
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Voted :)

Well I actually did the deed several days ago but the stupid security on the system at work let me vote but not write on this forum :x
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well I actually did the deed several days ago but the stupid security on the system at work let me vote but not write on this forum
If you think it's bad getting here Martin, try Y&Y - even the front page doesn't work properly at work and the forum has recently lost the "x new posts" against a topic due to security restrictions!
chris

Post by chris »

davidh

Post by davidh »

Chris...not Gently this time but Spriteful - over on the Pure Magic Facebook page!

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

David, you've made me join facebook ...dammmmit!
I noticed the picture of Jon Turner's 2986. I'm sure it is this boat that is now owned by a neighbour of mine five houses up the lane. He bought it some years ago with a friend, having seen my merlins (and I had told him what lovely boats they are). they sailed it briefly, capsizing rather a lot, then left it, but told me recently they are going to get it back on the water again. It does need some work now I gather.