sail release

share hints, tips and experiences
trebor

sail release

Post by trebor »

Hi, I need some ideas regarding a system for releasing the sail on my aquabat, due to the length of the boom it is impossible to reach the clip that holds sail to boom, the boom is a rowlock type, the sail is fixed at boom end with a Laser/Topper velcro strap and a dog collar type clip, the strap can only travel app 12" along boom towards mast due to mainsheet block, so releasing outhaul does not bring sail close enough to unclip.
I have not sailed boat for last two saturdays due to prevalent wind always blowing on to jetty, the last two times I have attempted to land, I have jumped on to jetty and backward sailed into jetty and then has I turned sideways the wind slammed boat into buffer ( wind speed quite strong for beginner ). Thanks rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
JimC

Re: sail release

Post by JimC »

With Toppers I suggest people rig and derig them by releasing the kicker, taking the boom off the mast and bringing the clew within easy reach of the middle of the cockpit. The trouble is that's not so easy actually sailing. By the looks of things your club only has a wharf on the side of the lake, not a proper jetty so you are stuck with downwind approaches. I suppose you could try a really long mainsheet so you can just let the sail right out as you approach the jetty, but there are no easy solutions. Maybe a trigger line on a snap shackle might work, but it will be a royal pain if it catches on something and triggers while sailing...
Pat

Post by Pat »

With our boats we turn head to wind and then drop the mainsail down the mast into the boat and use the paddle to get us in.
Is yours a sleeved main or would that be a way to go? Could you put a release on the velcro strap - even a cord to pull the end of it might work?
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

is it aft or centre sheeted? centre sheeted bytes have a snap shackle holding the mainsheet block to the boom which they simply release when necessary.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

The first club I ever sailed at had a wharf type arrangement; at the East end of the lake too so it was almost always the lee shore. I don't recall it ever being a problem. The wind is almost always biased to one side or the other so you use that to your advantage. It's much like landing on any other lee shore really...
Best wishes

SB
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi, Pat, sail is sleeved.
Nessa, boat is rigged centre/aft same as Laser, the problem is Boom is well over 10 feet long.
Paul, I agree with your assessment, wind on Saturday was blowing at about 45 degrees to jetty, the problem is I have been sailing in very strong winds with no real way to de-power other than by manouvering, I tried sailing backwards onto jetty which worked beautifully until I tried to come alongside, I also do not want to damage boat after putting so much time and effort into it,( I should think we all suffer from this on cvrda ), hopefully I can obtain an old Topper to get more experience in if their is not a simple method of dropping sail. I have been crewing last couple of sarurdays.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
kfz

Post by kfz »

Just a thought. Is it possible to scandalise the sail, can you up haul up the boom?

Be very careful of a boat I counldt drop the main. Last saftey resort .

Kev
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Kev, I can see what you are getting at, the problem is you would have to release kicker and boat is rigged centre/aft main so also you would need to pull two lots of mainsheet up with boom, while you are doing this the boat would in my case probably be out of control, the idea jimc came up with might be worth a try, release kicker unclip boom and allow it to go forward, it may just be possible to reach clip.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Make an alteration to the sail: open the top of the sleeve, put in an eyelet, attach a halyard and block for hoisting but maybe also attach another line for pulling it down. Topper always used to have a halyard that could also lower the sleeved sail until they changed the rules. The lowered sail will be a pain the boat, and still provide some windage, but it's probably your best option.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
trebor

Post by trebor »

Nessa, sounds like a good idea, their is a tube cleat on bottom of mast left over from old downhaul, I could pull cord down through this to lower sail, and then use same cord to pull sail back up.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

A very similar problem with the Minisail. Generally, if very windy, I will come into the shore as slowly as possible (the mainsheet should be long enough to allow the sail far enough out that you aren't powered up on a broad reach, so one approach or another should see the sail flapping) hop onto the shore, capsize the boat so the sail is lying on the bank, and then unhook the outhaul. It is even possible to remove the whole mast with the boat capsized. The hull then pops upright again.

Otherwis, try Jim's idea. Even with the boom only as far forward as the kicker fitting next to the mast, you should be able to reach the outhaul, though the sail is going to be a great big bag as you try and release things, and will try and take the boat all over the place.

The orginal Byte sail had a zip up the mast tube, which made life very easy.
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

we do have this problem with challengers trying to mow down shore crew in an onshore breeze - three sharp hulls coming right at you. The only solution wer have found is to let the whole rig go right forwards in front of the mast. Not nice.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

When approaching a leeshore in a laser which I used to sail, I used to un-clip the bottom block of the rear mainsheet halyard Leaving the mainsheet only attached to the boat by the front block. The boom could then blow forward of the mast to whatever position was required. In fact I used this technique when leaving a laser moored to a jetty with the dagger board down. it would then sit there happily without capsizing. As the wind moved about the mainsail just feathered with the wind.

Chris B
I14 378
kfz

Post by kfz »

Chris B wrote:When approaching a leeshore in a laser which I used to sail, I used to un-clip the bottom block of the rear mainsheet halyard Leaving the mainsheet only attached to the boat by the front block. The boom could then blow forward of the mast to whatever position was required. In fact I used this technique when leaving a laser moored to a jetty with the dagger board down. it would then sit there happily without capsizing. As the wind moved about the mainsail just feathered with the wind.

Chris B
I14 378

I like it.

I think the problem with unclipping he sheet in general is that if your approach goes to hell you have no backup plan. I guess if you do what chris says above you till have a fighting chance of getting the main back in (all be it without the mechanical advantage of the bottom block). Thinking about it its probably quicker that dropping the main and trying to haul it again. The downside of the Cat Rig.

Kev
trebor

Post by trebor »

it would appear that my problem is not unique, I will try allowing boom to go forward, if this does not work I will try the halyard idea from Nessa, being that the original purpose was to launch from a beach, they probably thought their would not be a problem.
Learning to race in the depths of winter is probably exacerbating the problem.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia