Epoxy Edging to Rudder

share hints, tips and experiences
zaphod79

Epoxy Edging to Rudder

Post by zaphod79 »

How do I get an Epoxy edge like shown in this pic http://ptwatercraft.com/blog/wp-content ... nsions.jpg

A video would be ideal

Thanks
Fireball 11042
Merlin Rocket 2576 - Torpid (Ghost Rider) - Thanks Mickey
kfz

Re: Epoxy Edging to Rudder

Post by kfz »

zaphod79 wrote:How do I get an Epoxy edge like shown in this pic http://ptwatercraft.com/blog/wp-content ... nsions.jpg

A video would be ideal

Thanks

Would you bother putting an epoxy edge on a ply foil? I thought timber foils where the way to go for greater strenght???

Kev
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Have to say that I put an epoxy/silica edge on leading edge of any wood foils I make....except for the very bottom rubbing part, where I use either brass rod, a strip of 3mm epoxy/cloth laminate or sometimes leave it with just epoxy/silica.

Normally I also put an epoxy cloth trailing edge as well, although the last foils I re-did were for a minisail and didn't to this, but really wished I had.

I don't think it provides any additional 'strength' but does provide some extra protection, especially to water ingress, which is kinda important with a ply board.

I don't have any video of this process. I 'might' have some photos....

If no-one else has anything, I will let you twist my arm and I will try and explain the process that I use.

You do need to start with a well shaped foil first (well except for the very edges where you are going to put the epoxy). After doing this, you normally want to end up painting the foil. I have done it well enough to varnish a few times. The leading edge is easy enough, but trying to get a pretty and sharp trailing edge is hard.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

No video but I did it on my Finn rudder which has lasted about 5 years so far with no problems. Just cut back the trailing edge by about5mm and then build it back up again with thickened epoxy. Use parcel tape to support one side while it sets. Then trim and sand back to the correct dimensions.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Cor well done Peter....

you have just explained in two lines, what it would of taken me 2 pages and 20 mins to write! :-)

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

Pretty common approach on canoe paddles as well as stitch and glue boats. For my kayak I just made very thick epoxy/wood dust mix, rolled a rope and put it along the keel. Just make sure where you put it is very wet with epoxy. Mush it in well so no air, shape it sort of, let it cure and sand. Somewhat similar approach http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB3/v ... =15&t=2501 . "Works good" as they say. You can get all fancy and make a mold http://www.bluestempaddler.com/bentshaf ... /epoxyti2/, but it seems like a lot of work.

On paddles epoxy tips stop the wood getting mushed up with the typical pushing off rocks etc but if you really whack something the epoxy tends to chip unless fiberglassed. I'm not sure it is all that helpful over simply fiberglassing. For foils???? I would imagine any impact is pretty hard. The kayak thing works very well, but fiberglass goes over it, multiple layers.

well whole bunch of answers in the time it took me to write this...
JimC

Post by JimC »

Given a straight trailing edge then two bits of 3x1 covered in parcel tape, one each side and cramped together, make a nice mould. Even better 1* 3x1, 1 * 4x1 and you can clamp the large one down, add the epoxy then clamp on the other without disturbing it.
zaphod79

Post by zaphod79 »

Thanks guys loads to be going on with. I can also repair my Canoe paddle now as well!
Fireball 11042
Merlin Rocket 2576 - Torpid (Ghost Rider) - Thanks Mickey
coriolis

Post by coriolis »

Before I start any aerofoil shaping on the blank I rout a groove 1/16 by 3/16 deep along the centre line.I fill this with neat epoxy,silica/epoxy or,purely for effect,epoxy with black pigment.When it has cured I shape the blank to the aerofoil section.This method gives a straight line along the centre to shape to.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Coriolis, that is a brilliant idea.
Rupert