Getting the centreboard back in

share hints, tips and experiences
phil58490

Getting the centreboard back in

Post by phil58490 »

Is there an easy way to get a centreboard back in. Obviously if you are going to put the same centreboard back in it pays to mark both the board and boat before removal so that it is relatively easy to line up the bolt hole. How do you line it up if you didn't mark it or you are putting in a different centreboard. I always find it quite a faff, with an electrical screwdriver in the bolt hole and moving the board around until the hole is located.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
JimC

Re: Getting the centreboard back in

Post by JimC »

Drawing lines pointing at the hole with water soluble ink (eg board marker) should help.
kfz

Post by kfz »

If you get really stuck swap the electrical screwdriver for a pencil and then take the board out to see how miles away you are!
roger

Post by roger »

Be very careful,

I couldnt get the board back in on my gp the day we were due to leave for an event. It was peeing with rain and in the end I gave up and went without boat and decided to crew or whatever was available when I got there.
As I said be careful because I came home with a fireball!!

I have often thought but never tried it. If you put a piece of line through the holes on c/b case and then draw a bight through from the top or bottom(whichever way you have to load the c/b. Cut the line thread it through c/b and then shorten the line will it guide the board into place or will it be to tight between c/b case and c/b.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

The centreboard I have to fit is a perfect sliding fit, anything thicker than cotton and I am sure that it would bind and break.

Edit to add, thanks for the warning but sitting at the computer also seems to add to the boat collection, is nowhere safe.

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
chris

Post by chris »

What about (1)a chalk line at right angles to the leading edge, throught the hole. and (2) cramp a block at exactly the right height where the top edge of the case will come on the board- measure the case and marke the board. (3) Slide it down till the block meets the case and hope that with a torch you can see the chalk line throught the bolt hole. follow the line till you get to the hole.
I often buy a sets of cheap children's art brushes in our local market (10 for £1) . 101 disposable uses. Use no.102 is that the long tappered wooden handles are also good for lining up the hole once you've located it.
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

And the answer is a combination of measuring the depth of the hole, inside, from the top of the box using a steel rule. A cramp to set the depth on the board handle, a marker pen to mark the board to aid aiming, sliding it in on the marked line and the trusty screwdriver for perfecting the alignment. It took seconds but it might just have been my lucky day.

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold