Old Solos

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hill

Old Solos

Post by Stephen Hill »

Hi

Could anyone tell me how the old Solos were built please? Was the hog the first bit on the frames or was it some other way?

The reason I ask is that I own no 345 which I am planning to try and repair/remove bodges :D.

There is nothing really wrong with her other than is old and showing some battle damage except someone has removed the floor battens and put in a false floor.

I am not 100% sure that this floor has been completely glued to the original hull as there are one or two places on the outside where it flexes too much for 12mm of ply.

I have been thinking on how to tackle the job and I think I will have a go at trying to remove the floors from the inside, but I suspect it will cause a bit of damage to 50 year old ply, so I may have to cut out the floor and replace the panels, hence the question of how they are fitted to the hog.

Many thanks for any advice

Steve
PeterV

Re: Old Solos

Post by PeterV »

The usual method for boats like this would be to set up the hog, Chines and inner gunwhale on the jig then put the panels on, then put a keel on the outside. Not sure if a Solo differed from this. Therefore you will need to take the keel off the outside before taking the floor panels off.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

I will be very interested in how this works out as I will soon be the proud owner of Solo 335.
As far as I am aware 335 is totally original, down to the cotton sail and wooden mast.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

One thing that is a weak spot on old wooden Solos is where the forestay bracket that fits over the foredeck and is screwed or self tapped into the wooden braces that ajoin it underneath at the prow can rot in the forepeak. there is no way of telling if the foredeck has been in situ for some time.
Later ones have the bracket extended down the flat plane of the bow. Both my 1967 and 1968 ones had the later bracket type added.
chris

Post by chris »

Good to hear about an early boats in original condition. From time to time we have a 'Cotton Sail Challenge Trophy' I think it sounds like time to dust it off.
Chris,
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Thanks for the advice Peter.

Mine also has a later forestay bracket attached but I will check this area when I get round to re-decking it.

I have also seen 343 on fleabay this week

Steve