international moth wings

share hints, tips and experiences
scorpion_1925

international moth wings

Post by scorpion_1925 »

i am hoping that someone can help, my magnum 8 has a damaged trampoline on the wing and i am trying to find out where i can get new trampolines made, does anyone know anywhere where i might be able to either get some made or where i can get hold of the material to make my own?
Scorpion 1925
International moth magnum 8

Ford Capri
Michael Brigg

Re: international moth wings

Post by Michael Brigg »

Dart catamarans, (and many others I presume) are an active class and have trampolenes so I expect it is pretty universally available.

Actually come to think of it, foiling Moths also have wings and trampolines.

They have an open meeting in a week or two (15th June I think) at Stokes bay round the corner from me. I could make enquiries if you wish?
Michael Brigg
JimC

Post by JimC »

I'd go to Caws Sails 0774 891 6193. I think Graham is sort of semi retired but I should have thought he'll still do tramps. As one of the major Moth sailmakers he must have done any number.
Pike

Post by Pike »

Profabrics sell the trampoline material http://www.profabrics.co.uk/shop/show_p ... php?id=TM1

I've noticed that a lot of the newer moths now use sail cloth instead of
the mesh for the wings, not sure why though. I would have thought that any sail maker could make some new ones for you if they can use the old ones as a pattern.
scorpion_1925

Post by scorpion_1925 »

thank you

i'll let you know what i find out
Scorpion 1925

Ford Capri
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

I doubt making your own would be economical as a one-off. In addition to the materials you'll need grommets and their fixing tools. With the sort of strains you get on a tramp you'll need spur grommets and the tools for those can set you back £60-70 easily depending on the size of grommets.
Best wishes

SB
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I wouldn't immediately discount making them yourself....if you have a little sewing skill/experience and access to a sewing machine butch enough to handle the netting/web.

Not saying you should, just that it isn't impossible. Yes, grommets can help, but it is amazing what you can do by sewing in rings with tape. They are stronger, they don't pull out and are pretty easy to do. Personally, I think they look good too.

You can also take your completed work down to a sail-maker and ask them to put in the grommets for you, they normally will, or at least the two I have asked both said yes.

Lots of places will sell marine materials.

I would ask English Seadog on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/englishseadog? ... 7675.l2563

He is a nice guy and will have everything you need at a good price.

If you want to go 'pro' then try Kayospruce at: http://www.kayospruce.com/ They are very efficient and not too expensive.

You might need a strongish machine. But you don't need a modern sailmaking machine, just a metal-bodied zig-zagger. I have bought two old german semi-industrial zig-zaggers on ebay over the years, but had an old consumer Phaff before the motor blew up, which worked just fine. They wern't too expensive, just bloody big and heavy.

If you want to give it a go, there are people on the forum who can guide you through it.

Best wishes
eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
scorpion_1925

Post by scorpion_1925 »

Temporarily I have repaired my ripped one, 6 hours of hand stitching a patch on both top and bottom sides of the wing.

I also made enquiries, I contacted john claridge boats and was told they used to use sanders sails. A chat with sanders sails and they would happily make some although they haven't got the pattern on file anymore so would need a template to work from and they would be from Dacron like the modern moth wings not the mesh but a pair would be approximately 370 plus vat
Scorpion 1925

Ford Capri
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Not surprised at the price for tramps, they always were an expensive item.

It is possible to make your own, and they can be very strong if you reinforce the edges well before fitting the eyelets.

I made a set for my Magnum using the Trampoline mesh from Kayospruce 188cm wide . Profabrics is similar.
Sailcloth is ok if you stay upright but when capsized there is huge drag underwater and a lot of windage above, not helpful when righting!

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/shop/show_ ... hp?id=PP28 12mm Eyelet kit with punch and die. £8.56 +vat

On the edges I folded the mesh over some webbing and sealed the cut edge with a hot knife (soldering iron) Over that I used some Dacron sail edging tape (Profabrics in various widths) and sewed the whole lot together. Amazingly, all that thickness was machine stitched on my Gran's old Singer with a windy handle. Ok, its only a straight stitch, but its strong and held the stitch tension ok using #92 bonded thread and a suitable leather needle.
To fit the eyelets I cut and melted the holes using a sharpened piece of steel tube heated on the gas hob. (it stinks the house out if you do it in the kitchen, so maybe a camping stove in the garage would help keep the peace) Using the punch and die, I tapped the eyelets into shape before transferring to a metalworking vice to squeeze them solidly together.

Mine have had about 5 years hard use now and the eyelets are still intact. Landing on our club's jettys has started to wear through the mesh itself under the tubes, but only to be expected when used as a brake!