Int 14 mast

share hints, tips and experiences
rme_01

Int 14 mast

Post by rme_01 »

I am working on the mast on my 1937 14 and would appreciate some advice on a couple of issues:

The mast is “deck” stepped in a silvered bronze fitting open at the front with a bolt running across (see photo). The mast itself has a step cut into it to fit the mast step with a brass strip running along the edge bearing against the bolt (definitely see the second photo after that description!). The brass strip has what appears to be a broken edge at the front e.g it looks as if it was originally like an angle iron with the right angled plane fitting under the bolt. Question - is the brass strip just a piece of an old door hinge that has been screwed into the foot to reduce wear or is it original and if so did it have a right angled element and why? A better question might have been – has anyone got a photo of an original?

The sheave for the jib halyard was frozen and over the years has been cheese cut by the wire. Fortunately the fitting (see photo) has a second sheave which was running so for the time being I have simply swapped the halyard around. In the long term I would like to take out the fitting and replace the sheave but I am damned if I can see how it all comes apart. The immediate impression is that it is held in place by the spreader tube running through it and acting as the shaft for the sheaves but this seems unlikely given that the spreader is just aluminium(?) tubing besides which it is not clear to me how the spreader tube comes out. I suspect this job may be beyond my pay grade but if anyone has experience of taking these things apart I would be interested in any advice going

Thanks
Attachments
jibfitting.jpg
foot.jpg
step.jpg
JimC

Re: Int 14 mast

Post by JimC »

rme_01 wrote:The immediate impression is that it is held in place by the spreader tube running through it and acting as the shaft for the sheaves but this seems unlikely given that the spreader is just aluminium(?) tubing besides which it is not clear to me how the spreader tube comes out.
I think one of your challenges is going to be that because this has been together for so long pieces that should have moved will be locked by corrosion, but heigh ho. You just (just!?!) have to figure out which bits should move and apply enough force, heat or whatever to get them to move without destroying anything.
I don't think I believe a spreader tube running all the way through. What locks it in place? On my much later Bethwaite wooden mast with similar diamond spreaders the alloy tube is actually two pieces, one each side, and they butt onto the mast surface. There's a solid metal billet that's an interference fit in the mast and this plugs into the hollow spreaders each side. Such a solid piece could also carry your sheaves, especially if they run on a brass collar on the tube.
What holds the tags for the shrouds in place? Could they be sitting on a solid rod that goes through and be held in place by the end of the spreader tubes butting on to them? It would be economical of weight to have the shroud tags also acting to stop the spreader ands digging into the mast.
chris

Post by chris »

The bronze base step is exactly like the one that is on Planet, N672. and I'm sure there was no angle piece on the foot of the mast. The way the step is designed means the foot of the mast never stands in any water as it drains straight off due to the slope. The shape of the foot of the mast looks exactly the same too.
I wonder if the mast originally had both the cross trees+diamonds and the forward jumpers and wires; I would have thought it was one or the other.
The hounds look as if they also followed the pattern of Planet's mast. The attachment for the forestay and jib were on a plate that went into a slot in the mast and were indeed held by a bolt through the hounds (no cross there on Planet). In other words removing the cross tree would indeed release the sheave/forestay fitting.

I'm very interested in the pictures you've shown as I need to obtain or alter a mast to just this arrangement for a 14 c.1944 and perhaps at some point I could get some measurements that would be great. My 14 is a long way off getting to that part of the restoration but information is always useful.
So, does anyone have a spare mast step just as shown in the rme's photo?
Chris
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Hi Robert (rme)

My mast is exactly the same as the photos you have posted and I believe my I14 is only two numbers away from yours. I have a groove in the front step of the heel and I always thought it was to position it on the bolt to facilitate lifting it to vertical from horizontal from standing in front of the boat with the mast. Of course, as suggested it could be used to form the fourth side of the box yet allow for water draining out of the box to prevent rot.

My spreader tube set up is exactly the same as well.

If you want to know how to dismantle the fittings on the mast, there was a guy at the Upper Thames SC Int 14 open last September who arrived with a magnificent newly varnished mast exactly like ours (but keel stepped) for his Uffa Fox I14 believe No 366 and to get it that good he must have had the bits off. Someone from the I14 Classic section must know who I'm talking about and have his contact details.

Regards

Chris Barker
I14 No 378