British moth cracked deck repair

share hints, tips and experiences
Pike

British moth cracked deck repair

Post by Pike »

Just been to look at a British moth to possibly purchase, overall a tidy boat but the ply on the side deck has a crack in the ply, also one in the upright part of the side tank.
Both cracks have been caused by too much weight being applied to the thin ply.
Would dribbling epoxy or glue into the cracks and pulling the surface level until it cures be sufficiently strong as I don't really have the time or space to be
taking on another restoration at the moment.
Rupert

Re: British moth cracked deck repair

Post by Rupert »

Difficult to say without seeing it, but I can't see why not. Might not look perfect, but no reason it can't be sound.
Rupert
Pike

Post by Pike »

I reckon that I will be able to flex the ply enough to slip a backing plate in under the damaged areas
to add some additional support. Just got to decide if I want the Moth now, browsing Ebay and found
a few other options...... :lol:
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Where will you be sailing? If it is a river or small water, a British Moth is great fun. On larger lakes, the Moth is still fun, but you might get frustrated by the lack of upwind straight line speed in a blow. If on the sea, I think there may be better choices!
Rupert
Pike

Post by Pike »

Funnily enough i've been having doubts whether it will the right dinghy for me. I sail at Stewartby which is a lake of about 200 acres and fairly open all around. I normally sail a dart 15 catamaran but want to get a relatively inexpensive dinghy for lighter wind racing when the cat just doesn't perform. Have been thinking of alternatives such as a solo or even a wooden phantom, any other suggestions suitable for somebody 6ft 2 and 12 stone gratefully received.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

BM's are light wind flyers, so i guess it depends what you call light wind in a Dart 15 as to whether there would be a gap where neither boat does what you want.

I know this is a classics forum, and what I am about to say could be considered blasphemy, but at 6'2" and 12 stone, have you considered a Laser?!
Rupert
scorpion_1925

Post by scorpion_1925 »

speaking from experience of stewartby, over the years cat sailors have sailed all sorts when the wind is light, some have stuck with cats but bought ones that go better than a dart 15 in not a lot of wind, there used to be a fleet of a class deltas, robin used to get his toy out, there have been those who have gone with lasers, solos, and streakers or even those who have gone the double handed route rather than single handed
Scorpion 1925
International moth magnum 8

Ford Capri
Pike

Post by Pike »

I bought the Moth yesterday :D , have been repairing the cracked deck today.
Initially I cut out the damaged area with the intention of scarfing in a patch but wasn't too happy with the look of it as I want to keep the varnished decks so replaced the whole side deck which was surprisingly easy.