Canvas care

share hints, tips and experiences
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

OK, just bought a new Canvas cover for the Tideway from eBay. It was made a few years ago and was a cancelled order so has been sat in a sailmakers for a while.

I won the auction, then the guy got it out of storage and phoned me to tell me it had some mould and mildew stains and gave me a very good deal on it as he had not checke it before putting it on eBay.

SO I now have a lovely green boom up cover but I need a way of getting rid of the stains (if possible). Before I go and raid the various products under the sink I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas about whaht might work without bleaching the canvas

rgds

Neil
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Pat

Post by Pat »

Have a look for the Stain Devils that does mould and mildew - shouldn't remove the colour. Good harware shops tend tosell them and some larger supermarkets.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
last man

Post by last man »

Hi this is stephen u I read your post about the boat cover and what ever you use to remove the stains will remove any water proofing it has. I have tried a number of things in the past to remove stains from tents and not found any that works.... If it ws me I would like with the stains .... sorry could not be more help full Stephen
Getting as bad as the rest. Two boats and two tenders
Brian E. Evans

Post by Brian E. Evans »

If you have to remove the stains. A common household white candle rubbed across the treated area will restore the waterproofing. Or you can go uptown and get one of those silicone sprays used for treating your boat anorak
B.E.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Wax remains awkward to handle. Fabsil from the camping shops is better to re-proof a cover. Available as spray can or larger cans which, from years of proofing cotton tents, I know are best put in the garden sprayer to apply.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)