Transum traveler do they have a name, looks correct?

share hints, tips and experiences
iconic

Transum traveler do they have a name, looks correct?

Post by iconic »

I touched on this in an earlier post, here is the traveler rig on my Torch, does this method have a 'proper' nautical name as such and does this look correct...I feel sure there could be a better way of fixing the rig to the traveler than by a strip Dee Shackle..some sort of single pulley maybe?

'African Queen' Torch 371
roger

Re: Transum traveler do they have a name, looks correct?

Post by roger »

That looks about right except that the blocks are the wrong way up. The mainsheet should come to your hand from the traveller not the boom.

Nice looking boat

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It is sometimes called a transom horse, but everyone understands it as a traveller. As Roger said, the mainsheet comes from the bottom, not the top. Make sure it can run smoothly along the top, and not get caught on the ends when you turn the boat (you should be fine) and you are set to go.
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Its certainly conventional to have the blocks the other way up, but I've taken to having a stern main rigged like that on my Skol. It has some advantages for my weird tastes.
iconic

Post by iconic »

:oops: Ahh...the upside down rigging maybe my fault....i was doing a 'dry rigging'!

Many thanks for the help and advice gentlemen
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

Doh, got the wrong image in my simple mind when i posted to you. Now i understand.

Had this system on my Graduate many many years ago. Works fine. You might find stoppers at each end of the top flat section will prevent the lower block going off around the bend (as in one of the pics and Rupert suggests) as it may not come back again easly when you tack. I seem to recall i clamped a mini u bolt at each end. They were galvanized i think.

That rudder blade is a very distinctive shape or is it the angle of the photo?. Brilliant.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
JimC

Post by JimC »

Alan P. wrote:That rudder blade is a very distinctive shape or is it the angle of the photo?. Brilliant.
I suspect it was orginally designed to have the leading edge raked back so the bottom was horizontal, but has later been altered so that the leading edge is vertical to lighten the tiller a bit. We used to do that on Gulls, but I think they may have changed the shape since.
iconic

Post by iconic »

Ahh, again, I did rig her the same 'as bought and used'....a picture here of my Torch being raced by previous owner....with him upfront it does look sorta comfy :wink:

chris

Post by chris »

Many boats in the 40's 50's, even sixties maybe, have this and they work fine. My merlins still do.
two things make it a little easier:
Stops to prevent the running block dropping down the upright ends and getting stuck when you tack.
And

I attach the running block to it with rope rather than a shackle (actually a little rope strop. then a shackle, then the block) I used to find it can twist and jam the wrong way with just the shackle. a rope piece cured the problem.
Pat

Post by Pat »

If you find you aren't happy with rear sheeting and facing backwards as you tack, then you could use the system you have and run the long end of the main along to a block on the boom and down to a centre main block in the same way the laser does. Just needs enough rope to have some left to pull when the boom is fully out to the shrouds.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You can always run it along the boom to a block and sheet from up there, too, if you don't want the space taken up in the boat. A Versa sailor at Whitefriars does that, and seems happy with it.
Rupert