Stripping technique

share hints, tips and experiences
podmeister

Stripping technique

Post by podmeister »

So, I've kind of followed the advice on here regarding stripping so far. I'm going at the boat with a hot air gun first.

I initially started with using a standard stripping knife (Link to the one I bought here). This was ok, didn't find I was causing much damage at all if any. I assume this is because it is fairly sharp at the moment. it's been doing an OK job - though slow.

I did see an article on here that suggested getting a proper stripper with replaceable blade - So I bought this one (Link to it here).

So I've used it last night - much quicker, but it was definitely harder and I actually started to taking nicks out of the ply - not ideal. This blade is so much sharper than the stripping knife which I assume is part of the reason for the gouging.

Is there a technique to using these better strippers. I tend to use a pushing technique similar to how I use a stripping knife, but should I be using a scraping technique where I pull the better stripper towards me?
Rupert

Re: Stripping technique

Post by Rupert »

I've never got on with the ones with a knife blade - simply too sharp.

I use a triangular scraper (The sort at right angles to the handle) which I sharpen regularly with a file. It is obviously pulled, not pushed. Ones with cheap handles give blisters afetr a few hours - one with a nice handle and good blade can strip an Albacore in 8 hours. Mind, it could explain the bad back I have now, spending whole days stripping...
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

yeah, as rupe says.....those are both push' strippers and you need a 'pull' one.

Still think the very best is this one:

http://www.toolbox.co.uk/stanley-tungst ... 2909-75556

In fact I have tried lots of others and none even come close to this.

Skarsten hook scrapers are OK, but blades are nowhere as good as the Stanley Tungsten ones.

These look good, but not bought one as I love my stanley.

Many like Rupe swear by the triangle scraper and I always have a couple with me, but the stanley is the first choice.

Actually this is a point. You need more than one scraper for a couple of reasons. Some will do one job better than others...but also using one scraper for too long will only give you blisters, so you need to swap and change a bit.

Avoid any scraper with too much plastic, they melt in hot air and get sticky in the guk.

Did you see this thread:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread. ... sh-or-pull

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

I hadn't seen it, it was on this forum - I had totally misjudged the scraper shown. In fact I believe it was a post by you Ed as that's scraper referenced. Thank you for the link though, I've had a read through and I will invest in a new scraper.

Thankfully the damage from last nights stripping is only on an already knackered foredeck.

I do have a triangular scraper, I'll move onto that one until a new one arrives.

I will say though, the push one thyme scraper was amazing when it wasn't ripping chunks out the boat. It became a challenge to see how big of a strip I could get off.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
I used to use a cabinet makers scraper keep it sharp and there is never a danger of it digging in. This with a good coating of Nitromors or and certain laboratory chemical will get just about anything off.
Cheers Al
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Thank you everyone for the advice.

With the scraper suggestion by Ed purchased, I spent a few hours last night enjoying a bit of stripping in the garage!

Boy does this scraper plough through the job, relatively speaking.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Like Ed and Rupert I use a number of triangle scrapers of differing sizes all with wooden handles.

My favourite one is now so old It wont take being sharpened for much longer.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

My favourite scraper in pic below after a hard morning's work yesterday.......the secret with these is to sharpen them against the direction of the blade, so that the file passes over the blade in the same direction as if it were being scraped, if that makes sense. I have seen so many people try and sharpen them the wrong way (I used to work in a boatyard). I've had this scraper for many years and it has had countless hours of use next to my heat-gun.....a little ragged at the edges now, but still stripped one side of my moth in just over 2 hours with regular sharpening.......see pic on "out of the shed" thread. Off out into the garage to do the other side in a mo! :)

Sami.