miracle restoration

share hints, tips and experiences
miracle

Re: miracle restoration

Post by miracle »

while the epoxy and taped seems in the bow tank are solid and tight,looks like they are the original bits etc. is there any reason to add some glass and epoxy to beef them up a bit or are they just best left alone ?
Jimmylovescake

Post by Jimmylovescake »

miracle wrote:currently trying to rig a dutchman patch , 1 inch from the transom , not easy when doing it by eye,with a stanley knife and sandpaper, getting the join angle is tricky
having recently started my first restoration, something I have begun to do with any type of path repair is cut out the patch first and use it as a template to mark the area of the hull I cut out, that way I can be confident that it is the right shape without too much fiddling.

For replacing veneer sections I have been more recently sold on vacuum bagging. This has been really effective for me and a lot easier than any explanation sounds.

Glad to see I'm not the only one taking on this sort of project. If you have a budget written down on paper I'd throw it in the bin quick so not to deter you from completing what is a very satisfying way to spend your time.
Good Luck.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Jimmylovescake wrote: If you have a budget written down on paper I'd throw it in the bin quick so not to deter you from completing what is a very satisfying way to spend your time.
Yep. Two phrases of advice for boat restoration. Never spend more money than you have spare in your pocket and never add up what you spent.
miracle

Post by miracle »

JimC wrote:
Jimmylovescake wrote: If you have a budget written down on paper I'd throw it in the bin quick so not to deter you from completing what is a very satisfying way to spend your time.
Yep. Two phrases of advice for boat restoration. Never spend more money than you have spare in your pocket and never add up what you spent.
i conveniently forget to check my bank balance :mrgreen:
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

Do paint inside the tanks. You don't want the front falling off....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43lBiJIzEPk
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
miracle

Post by miracle »

Graham T wrote:Do paint inside the tanks. You don't want the front falling off....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43lBiJIzEPk
te he , brilliant
miracle

Post by miracle »

On the subject of the cam cleat spring ,got two from Holt Allen who were very helpful ,they arrived today but are slight diff design which gives them an awkward spring effect in the old cleat , ill get there in the end
miracle

Post by miracle »

found another bit of nasty soft ply on hull :( , scraped out just caught it in time :shock: , epoxy at the ready , waiting for it to dry out :D

im feeling more like a dentist at the minute :mrgreen:
miracle

Post by miracle »

open wide sir, just a small cavity to fill :mrgreen:

dab of glue to seal the wood on the inside , access by screwdriver only.
the rest filled with marine epoxy, sanded flush and then small glass and epoxy patch to cover.

come back next week for more episodes in the D.I.Y boat dentist.
miracle

Post by miracle »

inside the bow tank , ply was a bit worn in places on the bow strap bit, fibre glass and epoxy fixed it very well , plenty of epoxy to seal her up and strengthen ,looks a bit rough , painting tomorrow, decks go on soon, happy chap today