Prodders

share hints, tips and experiences
angus

Prodders

Post by angus »

A little while ago somebody on this forum posted some very useful information on making proders, dimensions etc. Now I want to make a prodder I can't find it, can any body help either by pointing me in the right direction or repeating the information.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
solentgal

Re: Prodders

Post by solentgal »

Angus........you may be remembering the sketch I did seen here (scroll down on page 1):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3848&hilit=+prodder&start=0

No dimensions, but someone may be able to help with that......but then things like this really need to be made on a "fit for fit" basis really.....rig her up and dummy it up in some stiff cardboard or hardboard maybe just as a starting point?
Sami.
angus

Post by angus »

Thanks Sami, I seem to remember a post that gave a few more details like spreader deflection (if that is the right term, but I do realise it will be a case of trial and error at the end of the day. Does anybody know a good supplier of ali tube with a suitable section for making spreaders. I can find plenty of suppliers of square or round tube but none with a more streamlined section. Of course if somebody would take on my Moth it would save me al this bother!
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

I would love to take it on Angus, and I even travel to Scotland at least once a year (Newton Stewart)........but not due a trip for a while unfortunately........keep us posted as to whether it is still available though :)
Sami.
JimC

Post by JimC »

angus wrote:Does anybody know a good supplier of ali tube with a suitable section for making spreaders.
Carbon coated cedar might be more accessible. Make joining all the arms about a hundred times easier.
Rod

Post by Rod »

If I recollect from reading a tuning guide for the Moth written in the 1980's, sidestay deflection for a prodder was neutral, forestay deflection for a prodder was 1 inch. This, I think, was with no sail bent on the mast. As you admit, these deflections are highly dependent on the modulus of the section you are rigging.
Rod M
Annapolis MD USA

http://www.earwigoagin.blogspot.com
http://cbifda.blogspot.com/

Classic Moth: 105
PK Dinghy