Stern sheeted jollyboat

share hints, tips and experiences
Mungo

Stern sheeted jollyboat

Post by Mungo »

Can anyone help with how the traveller (I am not good with the names of boat bits) is attached on a jollyboat. There are two holes through the legs (arms?) that insert into the transom, and there are two holes that align in the inside of the transom. It looks like there might be a nut inside the transom that is used to hold a bolt that goes through the holes. There is a copper washer on the wood reinforcement. I was very careful keeping my screws and bolts etc, but have nothing with a flat face on the head.... One side seems to grab a machine screw the other doesn't. The space is pretty small to work in so figuring it out by trial and error isn't that easy. Pic attached, hopefully someone will understand what I am getting at. I am assuming a lot of force on that bar so it needs to be anchored well

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt21 ... 469fce.jpg

As an aside how much varnish is needed to do a jollyboat? My calculations are financially shocking.

Thanks

Mungo
Chrisrjwood

Re: Stern sheeted jollyboat

Post by Chrisrjwood »

Hi there, looks like you have a completely original boat there, and a nice rebuild...

I am not sure about the traveller, I have only seen them with threaded ends so you can put nuts on.

I'm sure someone here will have the answer though.

Best regards, chris
Chrisrjwood
Jollyboat J325 Serendipity
Rouse I14 'Brown Trousers' K1094
Kirby 7 I14 Last Chance K1120
Penultimate I14 K1337
Int 14 K391 Velocity
Uffa Fox I14 Nymph K524 (under restoration)
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

When you lose count of coats of varnish you have done enough...
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Odd way of fitting... Is there any chance it was flush to the inner face of the transom and through bolted right through the transom?
chris

Post by chris »

The old merlins have just that arrangement. They are flush with the inside of the transom and usually have a pair of holes in each leg though. The variations I have seen are:
1, plain clearance holes, bolt through from the outside of transom, then nuts on the inside.
2, the holes in the metal are threaded, bolts simply screw directly into the traveller,
3,( have seen this as well) a secondary metal tube is screwed to the inside of the transom first, the traveller drops in and a single bolts then locks it all together.

And often a wooden block with half a hole along one surface is screwed over the top most part and into the inside of the transom to help take the thrust. But your legs look rather short for that.

I'm sure Ed will know just what happens!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

OK....

I think I can see where your issue is....

Chris pretty much has it covered...the horse goes down through the top decks and then through a supporting block attached to inside top of transom. A countersunk bolt comes through the transom from outside the hull, through the block, through the hole in the bottom of horse leg and through to inside the boat, where it has a washer and nut.

I don't think the horse is threaded, but it would be easy enough to check. If it is threaded, it will be an imperial size and most probably easiest to just drill it out and use a metric equivalent.

Your issue is that the new added block of wood at top of transom has gone over where the original holes in transom were:

You can see them as the inner set. It does look like you also have a set of holes for the wider horse. There were two possible horses. you show the normal original narrow one, but there was a later wider one which would fit the other 'wider' set of holes. For some reason, I thought I remember seeing that you had the wider one???

shows the holes through the block for the smaller horse, which is the one you are showing.

the holes are behind the block of new wood at top of transom:

Incidentally, that horse is as Chris says totally original Fairey equipment, as are the other fittings.....

but looking at the wood used in some elements of the build, I still think that it was a Fairey Kit rather than a Fairey finished boat. Many Fairey boats were supplied like this, from bare hull.....to hull and box of bits.....to hull, fittings and wood, to completed boat. I might be wrong, but it is like all the correct bits are there....but they are not quite exactly in the right order. The boat is none the worse for this. I am pretty sure there were more Jollyboats supplied as kits than as completed boats and some were finished by very competent boat-builders.

Hope this helps.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

Thanks all. Looking at the transom in one of the pics, there are the holes... Thanks Ed. I'll drill it from inside the boat and search my screw cache for a long thin bolt. The wider holes are screws that support the inner gunwales.

Mungo
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

For those who have followed my painfully slow introduction into wood boats. It's almost complete. It has a deck, a substantial challenge. The only new wood is the deck (and not very attractive ply regretfully, but all that was available), the cheek plates, a new stern deck beam and the top of the transom. All the trim is from recycled cheek plates and the old deck beam. A few holes patched with wood from Garry R. It has been very slow (4 years but not many hrs a year) but I know nothing about boats or wood, or sometimes common sense. It sure is a process where you discover ones own eccentricities. I spent forever making screws look old, then when I sanded the deck they look, well, new. I tried hard not to make the boat look new, now I look at the blotchy interior and think I should have brightened the wood up a bit. I was very careful documenting where things came from but can't find the bolts that hold the horse and have two substantial screws left over that I have no idea where they came from. People on this forum have been patient and wonderfully helpful, thank you.

I have no history on the boat so could well be assembled in North America. There is a sister boat in Montreal (where this boat came from). My dad bought it mid sixties and I remember a few around at that time. It's hull 192, sail number 203. Sat in a barn for at least 30 years, probably longer.

Apologies for the poor quality ipad pics

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt21 ... 19927b.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt21 ... 1d5afe.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt21 ... 34b944.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt21 ... c2cab4.jpg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Great to look through all the images again.

Possibly those which are most of interest ...in a historic sense...are the shots of the roller-reefing kit. We have talked about this in the past on the forum, but I was only ever describing the bits from a practically 50 years old memory.

Now we can see the bits, unfortunately not in the boat....but hey ho....maybe those that were part of the original discussion will remember the relevance of these images.

Still not entirely sure what this is though. I suspect it is part of the boat, but still not totally sure:

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Mungo

Post by Mungo »

I wish I had the boom bits to complete the roller reefing. I gather not very effective but still would be nice to reincarnate. Having never seen the boom I don't know what they even look like.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

might have a photo.....

the boom was the only bit I had left...

pretty easy to explain though, if you wanted to try and recreate it, although personally.....I am not sure I would bother ;-)

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull