UnSkol gets a newbottom...

share hints, tips and experiences
solentgal

Re: UnSkol gets a newbottom...

Post by solentgal »

Personally I would go with white, to minimize movement due to heat.......dark boats always cook up nicely inside the moment we get warm weather. This may be more important on this project due to the join in materials......just a thought. Orange and white actually looks good too in my opinion.....nice and crisp and fresh looking :)
Sami.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Seems a pity to cover up all that hard work with paint, could it not be varnished? A reverse of the traditional 'painted below the waterline' look? (Mothies usually do it differently!), and then nobody will notice when its upside down :wink:

The new hull shape is great, quite different to the sharp v forward sections of other Skols. Must be quite stiff too from the laminated construction. Can't wait to see how it performs.
JimC

Post by JimC »

bornagainmothie wrote:Seems a pity to cover up all that hard work with paint, could it not be varnished?
I'd rather hide how much filler I used and how approximate my carpentry was! Varnish is for second or third attempts when you have gained some competence. Close up all the patches where I went through outer layers are painfully obvious. Also I used a cream West filler, for a varnish boat it should be nice brown microballoons.

The shape, well the section at the daggerboard is based on a Cherub I designed but never built in 1976. The rocker profile is utterly conventional, and rocker depth is more than she had but much less than a Europe. Everything else is as fair as I could manage extended to the existing ends.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Is there some natural law, do you think, that dictates that when you sand down what was positively the last filling session you always find one more blemish? Or is it just that my pack contains exclusively -3 cursed trowels of filling?

Think I'll just undercoat over it, the undercoat is bound to show up a lot more jobs for the filler...
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Another dozen at least I'd say. In the end, you'll be spotting things no one else will ever notice.
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

Undercoat. It will need a fair bit of rubbing down, and it turned out to be rather patchy in places when I opened the garage door. Final colour will be a very dark blue. In the end the colour choice was dictated by it being the only tin of Hempel two pot of any blue shade in the second shop I went to...

I think perhaps no-one will be allowed to approach the boat any closer than this:-)
roger

Post by roger »

Ideal for a start with the Merlins Jim :twisted: :D
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
JimC

Post by JimC »

roger wrote:Ideal for a start with the Merlins Jim :twisted: :D
Now that's a thought... Back in the day we used to have sand in the varnish on gunwhales as none slip. Maybe I should have abrasive gunwhales on the Moth to discourage aggressive Merlins?
roger

Post by roger »

May be the equivalent of the roman chariots with knives sticking out of the wheel hubs
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Glass, like the fighting kite strings?
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Or just get a Finn and say If you want to go head to head with me my boats got a very strong heavy hull. They soon back off and a few references to their parentage helps.
Cheers Al
JimC

Post by JimC »

First top coat.

Strange, the photo looks a much lighter blue than the mk 1 eyeball sees. The patchiness is real though, hope subsequent coats sort it out. Don't intend to use more than one tin of paint! Trying roller followed up by brush, but its still more textured than I'd have hoped. Will try thinning a bit more with the next coat.

Spotted a whole lot more bits that really ought to be filled... pretending I didn't...
JimC

Post by JimC »

Hmm, having glued the artificial grass back on the cradle I thought I'd try it on the boat. Maybe I should have tried the cradle first and maybe put some packing on the cradle. The difference looks greater than it is at the chines since the cradle is now touching at the edge of the centre flat, not on the centreline.

More photos on the flickr album...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56735928@ ... 686839257/
JimC

Post by JimC »

Daylight!

Still needs another coat of paint but I've been somewhat reassured by looking at the deck and being reminded how patchy that looks. Back in the day Rondar (correctly, bearing in mind the boat) used the absolute bare minimum of gel coat and the orange too is distinctly thin in places with consequent lack of colour. I'd better clear the garage right out and I ought to put a plastic tent in before doing the last coat.

She does look decidedly tubby with the extra rocker - more than I would have expected. Maybe that's partly because she was black above the topsides, white below.

I just went hunting for a "before" photograph and failed to find one. Anyone got any from Bough Beech 2013?

Next I need to do a daggerboard. In theory I own a daggerboard that's perfect for the new case, but I lent it to somone and its never come back. The least hassle option, looking at my collection of old blades, is going to be the original one,which is oak(!!), warped and too thin. So I've glued a lump of ply on the flat side, and will see if I can get it back towards some kind of symmetry that fits.
JimC

Post by JimC »

May I scream?

Finally able to get down to where the boat is with a view to finishing the job, and turning her over went badly wrong.