Launching trolleys and varnished boats

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael4

Launching trolleys and varnished boats

Post by Michael4 »

one of 'those questions'...

OK, so I know that the varnish will not last forever as the boat slides across the supports on the trolley but what do people use to minimise wear?

The trolley hasn't got a roller (guess not many do these days), the cradle has a softish plastic covering.

I thought of using carpet but then worry it may never dry out?

I guess pipe insulation will just crumble away?

Plastic spikey door mat has been suggested but won't that have the same effect as the plastic on the trolley?

Any suggestions?

Slipway is very gentle...is the only solution to walk out even further?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Ian Malcolm

Re: Launching trolleys and varnished boats

Post by Ian Malcolm »

You don't want anything that can trap grit or moisture.

The spiky doormat will wear your varnish but not as badly as anything solid that could trap grit and gouge the varnish as the hull slides over it or denser foams or textiles that once loaded with grit act as fairly aggressive sanding pads. If possible, a keel roller aft of the fitted cradle or bunks that carries no load until you lift the bow will help considerably.

Leaving a wooden hull sitting on too few rollers is a really bad idea as the point loading tends to cause serious trouble.
Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (FORUM REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Take a look at the finer grades of artificial grass...
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

About a week or so ago I was told I needed a new, purpose built trolley for Agamemnon. He/she was on a Wayfarer trolley which was too long for my 14ft boat. A new trolley is being built with a specially moulded cradle to protect this venerable craft. I dont know what the cradle will be lined with, but I can ask if it helps.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Pat

Post by Pat »

Astroturf or blue closed cell foam with ribbed matting over. But the trolley needs good wide cradles that fit the boat and spread the load.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
cweed

Post by cweed »

....an open cell soft rubber doormat suitably trimmed?
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Pipe lagging is ok if support is a 'bar' and lasts a season or two as long as you can work out how to attach it down firmly.

One of the artificial grasses work well if it is a pad.

On the whole the bigger/wider the support the better.

I have my jollyboat in a sling, which is OK, but maybe not as good as I might of hoped. It still ends up as point loading due to it resting on keel and hull protectors.

The only thing I would add to this discussion is that personally, I reckon the important thing is to make sure that 90% of weight is taken on the keel and not the hull supports.

I normally set boat up so that before being tied down, you can just feel it rock from one side to other. In other words weight is 90% on keel and just a teeny bit on one hull rest. Then when you pull it down to trailer it, you pull it down tight onto the other support.

Remember not to leave the boat tied down hard after trailing. Although if you use my method, I reckon you will be ok. But I have seen people pull their boats down with ratchet straps, with weight on the hull supports and you can visibly see the deformation as they do it. This will ruin the boat, let alone the varnish.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it