Merlin Rocket 3055

share hints, tips and experiences
Godfrey

Merlin Rocket 3055

Post by Godfrey »

In case people wonder how these threads end, I cant remember how long it's been since I rescued this old Merlin from the previous would-be restorer. "Wife says boat must go/Land Rover takes priority;- it must go or be scrapped etc"
A familiar story among the classic car/bike fraternity?
So I took 3055 and she has waited her turn after a total rebuild of 2562 a Moon Rocket, now off back to a new owner in Nottingham, where she started life at Wyche & Coppock, then this summer, the rescue of 3314, Passion, the famous Turner NSMII, found rotting at Wembley SC. She just needs some rigging bits to be back on the road.
Thus 3055 has risen to the top of the pile and exhumed from the brambles to begin the long road to recovery. Wednesday evening handicap - just 19 weeks away....
She is almost complete, minus 2 bouncy bags, 2 missing deck beams??? easily mislaid arn't they?...and some small fittings.
And the deck, obviously.
So now, bow tank and full width bulkhead are now installed, case capping repaired, transom knee and hog section replaced, so we have a fairly solid shell again. Just wish I didn't have to create new deck beams as they are a pain to do, being hungry on materials due to the big camber.
Godfrey
MR3055 and others
davidh

Re: Merlin Rocket 3055

Post by davidh »

Godfrey,

ahhhh - it was YOU that saved Passion! I'd followed the provenance of the boat as I was after pictures for the MR book. There is one very good one in the old book of Paul Seddon sailing her, but little else; However, right at the death I was given a picture of her winning the Nationals with JT and RP 'doing their thing'. So, what will be her future now?

I'm so glad as well that someone is being sympathetic to Shogun (3055). It broke my heart to drive all that way (Southampton to Goole) just to find her looking like a tip, yet she was a good boat and can be a good boat again. Would love to see some pictures when you can, even though the 'bar has dropped' on photos for the book, if I can get a shot I'll put it up on the webpage.

Where are you based Godfrey - will we be seeing you at any events next summer?

Cheers and thanks

Dougal
David H
roger

Post by roger »

Godfrey,

I have a selection of buoyancy bags of various sizes. All are airtight but some are a little grubby. Let me know sizes and I can email you pictures.

Roger
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Merlin3241

Post by Merlin3241 »

Godfrey
What small fittings are you short of? I possibly have some Merlin odds and sods in the shed.
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

Thanks to each of you for the replies.
Bits for Shogun;- I'll have to have a major inventory check but I have all the major stuff except the bags. They should be the standard 36 x 12 ". I've heard that Grubby is the new Clean this season, so bring em on!
I'll be looking to move Passion on as soon as she's rigged up. Keel stepped mast with lowers...different. I have several jibs with what I believe is called a stuff-luff. i.e. you feed the wire up the pocket. Why? I need to figure out how the bits all fit together.
Am I right in assuming she always had twin poles? They are currently missing but a second search of the Wembley SC boat-park may be fruitful...? Otherwise its rummage time again.....
The Merlin book should make some wives happy, if only the husband's Xmas list is now very straightforward indeed. A no-brainer!
Regards
Godfrey
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alas Godfrey, Santa will not be bringing you your copy this xmas. The reindeer and elves trade association took one look at the size and weight and threatened strike action, so it will have to be either a trip to the Dinghy Show OR an attempt to bolster the flagging profits of Royal Mail but giving the job to Postman Pat. So, next March, if you see your local postie bent double, dragging his sack to your door, you know what he is delivering!

BUT - at the same time, I'm busy preparing a talk on the 'boat and the book' that I can take around to sailing clubs where there be a fleet of merlins....Ranelagh would be a good central point for the Thames clubs, though if it were deemed desirable, I could also make Hampton or tammy as well.

But back to more juicy topics. If you have a picture of the work on Passion, can I have it please? Dougal at davidhenshallmedia.co.uk will reach me just fine. As well as the book (and the 505 work to follow) expect a lot more merlin flavoured writing to come in the near future.

Regards

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Think I have a pair of Merlin gold aluminium kite poles.

I might need to check lengths, they are not the original length for sure, but might not be the modern full length either.

They came off a Tamesis Merlin in mid to late 90s.

If you are interested, drop me a line and I will make sure I can find them and measure them up

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

Hi David
I always make a photographic record of these projects but I think the files are too large to e-mail. I can make them smaller and mail some 'before and after' shots.
Likewise, I'm not sure what size is required to upload to the CVRDA?
I've started a couple of snaps of 3055, working on the new bulkhead and kingpost assembly.
Will send you something off the other computer next week.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

There is a 'sticky' somewhere about how best to upload images.

but quick answer is that if you want to upload them here, they have to be small....very small.

Better to upload them to an image services such as Flickr, Google+, Photobucket or whatever and embed links here.

If you want further instructions, I will find thread and re-post here.

cheers
eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it