Paint Systems...

share hints, tips and experiences
JimC

Paint Systems...

Post by JimC »

Thinking about what to paint Unskol with. The hull is part old gel coat with scratches and stuff, part new wood coated (=primed really) with SP eposeal, part bare glass/epoxy. Should be two pot and preferably as few coats and as little sanding as possible, and quite fancy the idea of using a highbuild primer to try and even out some of the many lumps and bumps. Any thoughts?
Seems bizarre to me that all the undercoats/primers seem to be only in white these days. I suppose that's the way to get consistent topcoat colour but even so... I'd much rather have everything dark for scratches. Maybe I had better just get some carbon black...
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Paint Systems...

Post by Ed »

I love this stuff:

http://www.paintmarine.co.uk/jotun-peng ... r-46-p.asp
but also available on ebay.

It is hard, easy to work and very high-build. You can get it in white/grey/red.

It is also unbelievably cheap.

These are not the suppliers I used to use, so I can't vouch for them, but the primer is brill.

FWIW, I used the white primer as a topcoat on my IC and just wet'n'dryed it back and then polished it for a really easy to fix hard finish.

Worthwhile buying a can of the correct diluent as you will need to thin it a bit for use.

I also rate their topcoats and think their 'trad' varnish: Ravilak is a wonderful old fashioned deeply colourd varnish, like an easy-to-apply Tonkinoil. May not be right for most modern racing boats, but wonderful for the more traditional boats.

eib

ps I know I am teaching eggs to suck grandma......but only from my own experience. Wash, then sand, then wash then sand, then wash that eposeal before putting the primer on it :-)
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
JimC

Post by JimC »

Ed wrote:.....but only from my own experience. Wash, then sand, then wash then sand, then wash that eposeal before putting the primer on it :-)
I talked to a Gurit techie about eposeal, and he made a special point about overcoating it: if I understood him correctly apparently it will release a tiny amount of solvent for some time after nominal cure which is compatible with two pot systems but hostile to one pot.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well, that is very interesting and certainly supports what I have found with using it.

I like the stuff.....but have found it very fussy with overcoating. I think it is highly likely that most of the times I had problems (memory does not totally serve), I would of been using the SP as a primer and then going on to coat with a trad varnish.....so my experience would bear out what he said.

Having said that, as long as I have washed it/sanded it and left it for a while, it has been OK and to be honest, not that much different to using G4, with which I have had rather similar issues!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

SP eposeal is nice and thin and penetrates, but being solvent-based will continue to 'out-gas' for a while.
Neat epoxy ( my fave is SP320) will be really thin if you can do the heatgun thing very carefully with the other hand, and will set without any solvent outgassing.
I use Durepox white primer as a finish on foils - hibuild and smoothable and hard, similar to the Jotun primer.
Jotun Hardtop 2 pack gloss is good too.
SP do carbon dust - good for bearings, or adding to filler to hide those gaps in clear finish carbon jobs.