The skoll has arrived

share hints, tips and experiences
ptostu

The skoll has arrived

Post by ptostu »

Thanks lyndon for delivery of the skoll today it resembles a giant soap dish, nessa if you know any history of it could you let me know, I need to get the mag 8 fixed pronto now so I can start the next one
Stu
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
bornagainmothie

Re: The skoll has arrived

Post by bornagainmothie »

Stu,

I think all we know about it was here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5837

unless you can find a sail number on the hull or Martin W can find the name in the old records?

Anyway, try and get one of your boats ready for Hunts!
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I had two Skols, one that came from Max via Pete McGlashon, and one that came from a back garden near here and was sailed at Ely. Which one do you have?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

His nessa the back garden one I presume
Lyndon the 8 might be ready but it depends on my knee and when I have the op as revamped that bus and now I'm suffering, link is bring up a merlin
Stu

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

This is how I got hold of it:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5339
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

More here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5341&p=45955&hilit=+skol#p45955

It is, as the posts in the (above) thread indicate, a mk2.

Interesting stuff about the skol here, too:

http://www.internationalmoth.co.uk/wp-c ... k-1969.pdf
(somewhere near the back of the upload)

I once tried to contact Rondar regarding the skol moth, but unfortunately that path of attempted knowledge gain proved to be unfruitful, something along the lines of not having records going back that far.

If you do a quick search on here, you will probably find a nice lot about the old(er) moths, as well as specifically the skol. My search turned up around 19 pages of posts!

Pretty nice boats to sail though...

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Thanks Max, that was the link i was trying to copy with the garden pictures. Someone else had asked me about the Merlin for sale at the same time, hence finger trouble!

I hadn't noticed that Skol advert in the 69 yearbook, explaining the "Regate" version with centreboard. (thats the orange boat now at GSC with Colin) We thought someone had modified it to be like that, especially as the casing is wood in an otherwise glass boat.

"Close to the Edge" is where I have been, letting it sit on my patio since I collected it from Nessa last year! Stuart said he would take it on but we hadn't got round to moving it due to backlog of both our projects. Anyway, its a step nearer to getting restored now :)

Lyndon
JimC

Post by JimC »

With Skols, from what I can make out there seem to have been 4 varieties. I'm not entirely clear what was Mk1 and what was Mk2...

Mk 1 may have just been 3 prototypes, which look as if they had unstayed masts and a fair gunwale line.

The most common seems to be the Mk 2. The 1969 Moth yearbook, which seems to be pre main production, two versions were planned, called SL and regate. The SL was to have a daggerboard, lighter layup and unstayed mast. The Regate was a heavier layup and a pivoting centreboard as a sort of entry level boat.

Internal layout varied. All seem to have had stern tanks. They had a little winglet at max beam which led to a distinctly wavy gunwhale line. Some, were self draining with false floors and drains through the stern tank. The actual production detail may have varied, I think in practice many were built with stayed rigs.

Some folk call the non-self draining ones Mk1 and self draining Mk2, but that doesn't seem to match up with what I've seen in contemporary documents. Of course what was planned in the 1969 yearbook might not be what they ended up doing.

This image of Sami's is presumably either a Mk2 Regate or a Mk1, depending on which version of nomenclature is right, and how much she's been modified over the years. Note the distinctive gunwhale line.
skolsamiIMAG0893.jpg
This image, from http://mid-atlanticmusings.blogspot.co. ... at-is.html show what is presumably a Mk 2 SL, with the daggerboard case and a (damaged) false floor.
Skol 5 23 Oct 2011 well deck damage.jpg

The Mark 3 has a fair gunwale line, an open stern and a deck stepped mast, and really looks very modern, except that the top rudder pintle is on an alloy beam across the stern, whereas modern boats just have a lump from the floor: cheaper to build but structurally inferior. The shrouds on mine were supported by glassed in alloy tubes down to the base of the mast step, which was a big lump of ply from deck to keel.

Here's the interior layout of a Mk3. There would normally be an X profile mainsheet track across the boat where the toe straps are.
skol3int.jpg
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Thanks for the replies people and now what to do it have been searching earwegoagins blogs and that have done some interesting work over there so do I keep it as is or do I completely redecked in wood, what are people's thoughts stu

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Some time before Easter I will get some photos of 'The Hopple' our Skol Mk 2. But the photo here of the one with the hole in has the same fittings, stayed rig, and rotating mast of The Hopple. Many years ago the traveler broke up so we currently have made a rope effort - it works enough,,, I'd love a new traveler car to fit the track though! Its 'X' track.

That is a big hole! But fixable. You could make a female mold from the other side of the false floor, then make a replacement panel, and insert into the deck. You would always know it had been done because you would never match the Gell coat colour, but it would be the lightest and neatest repair and much less work than building a new complete deck.

We also have Skol drawings and sales information. I think I posted it on the forum or on a photo sharing website but can not find them right now so will try again.

Best Wishes!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
JimC

Post by JimC »

I wouldn't redeck a Skol2 in wood unless it were utterly unavaoidable, because trying to follow that deck line with a stringer to glue ply on to would be a nightmare.
Exactly what's the problem with your boat, I think I've lost track of which Skol is which. Incidentally Bloodaxe managed to colour match the gel coat on my Skol so well that the shroud repair is near enough invisible, so it can be done.
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Hello all, I have the skoll that nessa rescued from a garden down by her it's the red and white one k3113 I think there is some pics floating about somewhere on here and Facebook , the hull is not to bad apart from the cockpit floor is very spongey and it is in a rough state cosmetically and need to aquire some bits for it
Stuhttps://flic.kr/p/rsnZuJ

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

What a beautiful morning for moth repairs magnum all patched up and while the epoxy is curing I'm going to investigate the hull of the skoll and see if I can find a number
Stu

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825