IC K89

share hints, tips and experiences
Mike Bridgwater

IC K89

Post by Mike Bridgwater »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131067612@N08/sets/ Here are some current photos of IC K89 showing recent hull damage and hopefully giving a better idea of her lines.
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
Mustard Seed Merlin (awaiting new deck)
IC K89
JimC

Re: IC K89

Post by JimC »

OK, that's interesting, better idea of the shape and what the chines are doing.
Early Nethercotts actually had a similar treatment of chines, where the chine disappeared into the sheer, but much farther aft. You can sort of see it in this picture of my boat mid rebuild.
Other photos made it look as if the boat was radically V shaped forward, like a Seafire of something, but actually she seems to be cold moulded forward, and not that different from a Nethercott, maybe a bit finer.

Here's a standard Nethercott bow (albeit with a very non standard stern!)
JimC

Post by JimC »

I forwarded the URL on to Peter Wells, but the new photos haven't rung any bells with him. We're running out of people who might know...
Mike Bridgwater

There must be somebody out there who knows............!! Anyway, restoration is proceeding, and the construction seems pretty unusual to me. Midships in way of mast, centreboard etc there is a layer of cedar strip planking between two layers of ply giving a thickness of approx. 10mm. Aft seems to be 2 ply layers and forward 3 layers with no cedar. It might have been in order to beef up the middle of the boat but does seem a bit ott. The boat is quite heavy. its going to be great to see how/if it all works!
One other possible "lead" is that there was an Ullswater sticker on her, Maybe someone up ther might have seen her?
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
IC K89
JimC

Post by JimC »

I now know that K89 was first listed in the RCC fixture list for the 1965 season so presumably built in 1964. The first owner was a P. Dimmer. Unfortunately that's all the info in that particular list!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

But do we have any way of confirming that this boat is actually K89?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Mike Bridgwater

Difficult to know. I guess the fact that mine is a one off and 89 is/was a known one off (I still want to know what a Proctor canoe looks like) points in that direction. The sails are 60s and the semi battened one was made for K89 by Lucas sails, the storm sail has had the number changed to K89. They may or may not belong to the boat but I think might well as they're so old. Owners will probably have bought new sails and kept them for their new boat and left the original oldies with the boat.
I was hoping there might be someone from up north Ullswater way who might have seen the boat up there. Bit of a long shot I guess, but I believe there are a number of canoes up there.
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
IC K89
JimC

Post by JimC »

Mike Bridgwater wrote:I was hoping there might be someone from up north Ullswater way who might have seen the boat up there.
Worth posting on the Canoe forum.
Mike Bridgwater

good idea, just posted on the Uk forum.
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
IC K89