Tools

share hints, tips and experiences
trebor

Re: Tools

Post by trebor »

I believe their were over 30 ship builders entombed in the Titanic, it was a common occurrence.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
JimC

Post by JimC »

I think we're getting caught up in urban myths!
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Meanwhile ....in relation to tools.... I recommend buying all hand tools at car boot sales, and the older the better. The steel was much better back in the day, and a well sharpened/maintained older tool is much better than the modern stuff....and they can be had for a few pence....and some older power-tools too......one of my best buys was a B&D jigsaw, complete with usable blade, bought for £2 about 5 years ago.....and it has done a huge amount of work since then!
Sami.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

mmmmm.....

an old plane I would certainly consider, although just because it was old doesn't necessarily make it good.

An old jigsaw, I would feel less comfortable with. Jigsaws have really improved over the years and there is such a big difference between the cheap amateur ones and decent pro ones. OK it doesn't matter much if all you are trying to do is rough cuts through thin sheet, but if you are trying to cut an accurate curve with a right angle cut along the grain in an expensive bit of mahogany.....you will curse and think you are an idiot if you don't spend the money and think you are a born brilliant woodworker if you do.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
trebor

Post by trebor »

a decent sealer gun, some of the cheap ones need the strength of 10 to squeeze
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
tomslade

Post by tomslade »

Ed wrote:mmmmm.....

an old plane I would certainly consider, although just because it was old doesn't necessarily make it good.

An old jigsaw, I would feel less comfortable with. Jigsaws have really improved over the years and there is such a big difference between the cheap amateur ones and decent pro ones. OK it doesn't matter much if all you are trying to do is rough cuts through thin sheet, but if you are trying to cut an accurate curve with a right angle cut along the grain in an expensive bit of mahogany.....you will curse and think you are an idiot if you don't spend the money and think you are a born brilliant woodworker if you do.

eib
Been looking at jig saws around the £50 - 70 mark, is that enough or should I be paying more.?

I like the idea of going out to car boots but I think I would rather be spending my weekends actually working on the boat. Hope to get most stuff on line, axminater site is good thanks to whoever mentioned that. And last night I won my first set of scrappers on eBay, a steal at 3 for £6.
ent228

Post by ent228 »

I must admit that having had cheap jigsaws for years I tried a good Makita one and the difference is extraordinary, cuts faster, smoother and more accurately.....also about £150+
I've found Makita stuff to be good all the time no matter what.

However these things are really only good if you can afford them, for most boat work a good random orbital sander (I've had a green Bosh one for years) is good and a huge time saver.

The other things I use are:

a really strong snap off knife and I go through a lot of blades, literally every few mins breaking off a new piece.

A nice new hand saw, panel or tennon, sharp saws are a delight.

On a more sophisticated level a good bench grinder because you go from being a tool user to being a tool maker if you have one.

However to have a bench grinder you must have the ultimate accessory a wheel dresser, star type or diamond point. Cheap and make the difference between good work and bad.

Riv