K89

share hints, tips and experiences
Mike Bridgwater

K89

Post by Mike Bridgwater »

More photos of IC K89. Repairs done with a v basic fitout pending trials tomorrow. If it's not too windy. My first time in a canoe so hoping for not a lot of spectators! https://www.flickr.com/gp/131067612@N08/z51Mq4
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
Mustard Seed Merlin (awaiting new deck)
IC K89
Max McCarthy

Re: K89

Post by Max McCarthy »

Mike,

She looks fantastic, you should be very pleased with yourself.

There has been (and still is, really) a lot of speculation about this boat over on the IC forum. Your photos show much more of the general hull shape than any of mine did, so there may be a lot of interest in this boat over there.

But, have fun (and it is good you have chosen a not too cold time of year to try her out, my first sail in an IC, was in December....!)

She really does look great, and good luck!

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Mike Bridgwater wrote:More photos of IC K89. Repairs done with a v basic fitout pending trials tomorrow. If it's not too windy. My first time in a canoe so hoping for not a lot of spectators! https://www.flickr.com/gp/131067612@N08/z51Mq4
The work of a boat surgeon - looks absolutely excellent, congratulations!
Mike Bridgwater

Thanks Max
I was wondering if you ever got to sail her? The centreboard/rig configuration is unusual and suggests she ought to have a lot of lee helm. Soon find out.....!
Mike
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
IC K89
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Sadly not Mike (a mixture of too much school work and my UCAS application, are probably the most likely reasons).

She certainly is an interesting and unique one.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
JimC

Post by JimC »

Great Job. And quick too...

Most things have been tried with jibs, and the main drawback to your setup is that you lose the deck end plate effect. However as you're probably not aiming to win Worlds championships that may not matter too much. As Canoes tend to be wonderful upwind but disappointing in light to moderate deep downwind taking a hit on upwind performance to get more downwind may well be a reasonable thing to try, and quite possibly deliver more sailing enjoyment than a more conventional setup.

Just as a thought, you might benefit from a shock cord arrangement like they have on Solos and the like to pull the spar out onto whichever tack you require it to be on. After some GPS tracking I've reckon I've found that the optimum downwind speed for my IC in light to moderate is with the jib poled out to windward to extremes so that the flow over it is similar to a Laser running by the lee. Goosewinged I suppose, but not in any conventional manner.

And so, funnily enough I've been mulling over something not unlike your setup, but with a wishbone spar to deal with the height/deck problem. I'm stuck at the moment because my foredeck is really *too* domed for the spar to be able to tack, and I'd also need to alter my jib.
Mike Bridgwater

Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated.
Jim, early days yet and a steep learning curve! So will try out this arrangement and may refine it if it seems to work ok. It strikes me that a simple double ended jib sheet arrangement without the jibboom should preserve the end plate effect and still be self tacking, but I guess a lot of twist off the wind in the lighter stuff. I'll post again when I've tried her out. Fingers crossed!
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
IC K89
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Any updates Mike?
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Mike Bridgwater

Not yet Max! Maybe tomorrow....
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
IC K89
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Okay.... I look forward to hearing how you get on with her!

Just out of interest; where will you sail her?
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Mike Bridgwater

Wow! That was a blast! Haven't had so much fun (and so many capsizes) since early Contender days. I am relieved to report that she sailed well, none of the lee helm I was worried about, the rig and sails were fine, and my makeshift self tacker worked ok, so will probably refine the controls a bit. Although I have to say, I found enough to keep me occupied without thinking about jib leech tensions and stuff!
I sailed her at Wimbleball, my nearest "big" bit of water that's not horribly tidal, a lake not renowned for its constant winds, so there was much in and out on the seat and a lot of swimming. The bit I found hardest is moving from a central position aft of the seat to being out on the seat and back again - a completely new set of movements to me. It reminds me of learning to trapeze..
Unfortunately, one of the few times when I was well out on the seat, the carriage detached itself from the hull, leaving me in the water again. I will need to strengthen that area considerably. The carriage was just screwed in so will probably epoxy + fillet it in place.
Also the bamboo tiller extension parted company with the tiller, I fixed this temporarily by breaking the end off and drilling a new hole, any ideas for a better arrangement? I need to get her fixed up again for round two!
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
IC K89
JimC

Post by JimC »

You'll probably find you want to stay on the plank as much as possible, she'll most likely be a bit stern down with you aft of the seat. Having a mainsheet block on your wood bacon slicer probably doesn't help the ergonomics in that department, its more conventional to have all the mainsheet at the back of the carriage which means that you can readily have your feet on the leeward side of the plank, or a knee under the boom or something, subject to clearance under the boom.

Yes, carriage loads are spectacular. How exactly did your screws fail. I would be concerned that if you trust epoxy/fillet you may just remove the top layer of deck skin.
Mike Bridgwater

Yes, each carriage side was attached to the hull with 4 deeply counterbored 3 1/2" screws. I did think that it wasn't a very strong arrangement but went with it because I figured that it had worked and also I might want to change it in the future. The screws were slightly larger than the originals but (12s, not 10s) but suspect the original screw holes were weakened in the crash (the carriage was a bit askew when I got her). So I thought I might epoxy the screws and the carriage in position. It might be an idea to fit 4 small knees as well, to stop any "parallelogramming" effect and give a bigger faying surface.
That is a good point about the main: I did find myself, in the gusty conditions, scrunched up to the mainsheet with nowhere to go so ended up doing a weird side saddle effort from the back. So move the blocks to the back or maybe the front? Also, do most people go for a 4 block system or is that overkill? I certainly could have used less in the light stuff I was out in.
Osprey 231
Mirror 931
IC K89
JimC

Post by JimC »

Mike Bridgwater wrote: do most people go for a 4 block system or is that overkill? I certainly could have used less in the light stuff I was out in.
I've got the same as you except that I take it straight from the boom without the last block on the floor, but I think I may be unusual in that. The back of the carriage is normal.
On fixed carriage attachment, strongly suggest you post on the Canoe forum, there'll be people who remember what works.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

On my first canoe, when there was not enough wind to get out on the seat. life was much easier by sliding the seat out to leward - its weight conter-balances yours on the windward end of the seat so you do not have to scrunch up into an impossible ball just where the boom also wants to be.. I sat with one leg forward and one behind the seat, then if a puff of wind arrived I could briefly stand and slide the seat back out to my side, then sit down again ready to slide out and power up.gh to hold the boom down.

4 blocks definitely enough - as long as your kicker is strong enough.

Enjoy!!

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.