Skoll deck removal

share hints, tips and experiences
ptostu

Skoll deck removal

Post by ptostu »

Any advice of any of the gurus on here about splitting fiberglass deck from Hull before I make it more of a mess than it already is as it's proving rather stubborn and I am getting tempted to just cut it off completely
Stuart
Decending into insanity or is it an addiction

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
JimC

Re: Skoll deck removal

Post by JimC »

Have you tried moderate heat? I have to admit that even though it would have made my current rebuild much easier I didn't feel brave enough to try. It probably won't just be fastened round the gunwhale seam either, in the case of my boat (a Mk iii albeit modified) there was a substantial lump of ply under the mast which ran down to the keel and a number of glue points between the interior cockpit corners and the shell, some of which had let go and some of which hadn't. There was also a centreline spine, but that wasn't original. Also some alloy tubes between shrouds and keel, but not sure whether they were original and in any case corrosion over the decades had left only a very tenuous grip between metal and polyester so they'd be unlikely to give trouble.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The only way I've ever done it is the messy way - never pinged one off.

Make sure you have the boat supported well - it will go very floppy!
Rupert
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Well so far the foredeck has been removed and what a mess every bit of wood is either rotten or missing I think it maybe getting a wooden deck and some extra bracing and bulk heads in the front
Stuart

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I'm not surprised. When I bought it it was simply being stored upside down, the idea being it would protect itself, but it was Lmost flat on the ground, on dirt and grass.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
JimC

Post by JimC »

I think in your place, even if I were going to go to wood decks, I'd have foam sandwich internal bulkheads. It just seems to me that inside a glass hull is too much of a rot trap.
You can get foam sandwich panels pre fabricated so all you need to do is cut them to shape and glue them in, just like plywood...That's how I did my canoe, and its nice knowing that its reasonably rot proof.
ptostu

Post by ptostu »

Jim c any names of companies who supply foam core sheet, stuart

Int moth
Magnum 8 k3920
Mystery skoll
Skoll and crossbones
Shelly mk2 2825
JimC

Post by JimC »

ptostu wrote:Jim c any names of companies who supply foam core sheet, stuart
I've just had Bloodaxe boats make me some because they are old friends, but I don't know if its a regular line. http://www.bloodaxeboats.co.uk/

Clive Everest recommends Fibrefusion http://www.fibrefusion.com/composite-panels/