Moff Crisis

share hints, tips and experiences
simonf

Moff Crisis

Post by simonf »

So.. taking our Skol out yesterday, for the first time this year, in fairly sporty conditions at Kielder, just as I was about to launch, the mast pad exploded and the mast punched its way through the foredeck. The internal strut between hog and deck seems to have collapsed - nasty but thankfully not whilst afloat..

Found an image here: http://mid-atlanticmusings.blogspot.co. ... ction.html showing the offending item....

So, any suggestions on effecting a repair - my gut feeling is to take out the pad on the deck where the mast sits, so I can access the tank and put in a new and more substantial strut. Also thinking about a fixed mast step on the deck and therefore a non-rotating rig....

Bets rgds

simonf
JimC

Re: Moff Crisis

Post by JimC »

Its all about access really... Once you've got access the repair is obvious enough. I suppose in an ideal world one would separate hull and deck and it would all be very easy. Doing that will be a hell of a job. I have no idea how secure the bond is likely to be. I probably should have done it with mine. Failing that, well, you already have a hole in the foredeck, so I guess its down to enlarging that. I'd consider taking out a large symmetrical each side of the centreline piece that includes the existing hole so that the eventuual patch isn't too unaesthetic...