A sticky question....?

share hints, tips and experiences
dronskiuk

A sticky question....?

Post by dronskiuk »

Hoping someone here has done this before - I have acquired sixties Ladybird (!) dinghy (grp) where the deck has detached itself from the hull moulding. It's unusual in that the hull is the part that has the flat flange (and only about half an inch) and the 'U' moulding of the deck beds on to that i.e. there is no way to bolt or rivet to it other than down from the top of the moulding which is both visible and has the potential to snag clothing, skin etc. There are fittings and places that will enable some bolting to be done and I can countersink some bolts but the gel coat as well as whole moulding is thin so I'm reluctant to put too many in.

I was intending to either epoxy these together or use Sikaflex 291i - the flexible nature of the latter making it favourite. Does anyone have any other suggestions, product or solutions? I've not done this job before and it's, in my opinion, a poor design as there will be a relatively small contact area but I'd like to do a job that won't need repeating.

Many thanks in anticipation

Andrew
Obscured by clouds

Re: A sticky question....?

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I'd go with the sikaflex for the reasons you give.

However...........

How much rigidity does the deck add to the hull? Will strategically placed bolts/screws sort this problem out; such as around the shroudplates etc.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
JimC

Post by JimC »

If the glue works mechanical fasteners add nothing, so you are in practice only adding screws till the glue goes off. I think I'd get industrial quantities of parcel tape or similar and cocoon the whole boat in it to hold it down rather than try and use fasteners. If I were affluent then heat shrink tape might be better, but we are talking about too much money and the risk of putting more compression in than the structure will stand.

If they are completely separated then I'd use epoxy, because then the two layers together will be part of the whole. I'd consider putting a layer or two of glass in the middle of the sandwich to beef it up: If you put say three layers of glass tape/epoxy on your flat flange then the increased depth of the joint will add a fair bit of rigididty.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Wot Jim says x2
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Thanks to all - do you think the Sikaflex will give a good enough bond? It's a lot less time and temperature dependent than the epoxy solution and I was hoping that the bond would be permanent and strong.

Really appreciate the benefit of your experience!
trebor

Post by trebor »

I used Sikaflex on a Laser, which had completely detached, constant bumping against jetty detaches top from bottom, This is still attached after about 12 months of same abuse.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

trebor wrote:I used Sikaflex on a Laser, which had completely detached, constant bumping against jetty detaches top from bottom, This is still attached after about 12 months of same abuse.
That's good to know, thanks - and presumably, being a Laser it's the only thing..no bolts?

Thanks - Andrew
trebor

Post by trebor »

Yes,just Sikaflex, you could run a screwdriver all round prior to repair, forced nozzle in gap and used a couple of clamps where needed, but you are right,their was no need for fixings.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
JimC

Post by JimC »

If I considered that the join and material round it was inadequate then I'd want the extra strength from using epoxy and the bit of reinforcement I suggested to make the whole are more rigid. If I thought the structure was fine and just needed sealing up again then I'd use sikaflex.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Guess, I would add......If I was able to fully remove the part, I would certainly use epoxy, but if it was a case of levering open the crack and squashing some guck in.....Sikaflex does have some appeal.
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Polyester bog also works, don't forget, if just widening out a crack. Chances are, it is what is in there already, and resin and talc is a cheap route. There are plenty of you tube videos on how to do it, I think.
Rupert
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Many thanks all once again - the boat is in two pieces so I've bought some 25mm fibreglass tape, the Sikaflex was tempting but, as said, I have the chance to do the full structural hit so will give it a go - thanks.
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Epoxy is best used for laminating. Try plexus MA550, there's some on eBay that's out of date but it should still work very well. I used it with success on my plastic merlin.
Attachments
image.jpeg
(36.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
image.jpeg
(40.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet