Of mice and sails ..

share hints, tips and experiences
charlespsmith

Post by charlespsmith »

Well we did it again and bought yet another National 12 - this time Pendle Witch 2017, one of Mike Noakes Starfish - I have had to measure it twice to be sure that it is not a Merlin.

However mice nested in the "old sail" cheerfully cutting holes through three folds, but mercifully not in the the newer terylene set of Banks best. On these they left - how can I put this - bodily fluids - which so far have resisted biological washing powders in cool water and salt. What we need is a bit of witchcraft - tongue of newt perhaps? - to get this lot out. Seriously its a mess and I guess its an old problem for members. Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers
Charles & Sheila FPSC
Charles Smith
stotty

Post by stotty »

salut
had a similar problem some time ago - w g lucas porchester created my sails in '60 and one of sons who works the sail loft recommended diluted bleach and soapy water - did not remove all staining but worked a treat - too timid to try with slightly stronger bleach - think i used a 20 - 25% soln of bottled bleach eqivalent to about a 8 - 9% active ingredient.
tony s
Mirror, GP14(x2), Seadog, Blandford Nymph, and Pegasus awaiting complete rebuild!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

A terrible pun I know but what about a rat**** block smeared in soap!!!
charlespsmith

Post by charlespsmith »

Stotty many thanks for that. It seems to have worked very well although my wife finally used nearly neat bleach on a pad on the worst bits. It was a risk but I have not seen any deterioration of the sails in that area yet - will let you know how it goes. Again many thanks.

Garry my daughter says "Put a big sponsorship notice on the sail which says 'Powered by Mouse Poo' - surf boarders do it all the time - 'Powered by Roo Poo' Mark you this is the girl who said "Now you have the Spitfire tail wheel where's the rest of it?"

Cheers
Charles & Sheila FPSC
Charles Smith
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

My Dad used to say his welding attempts looked as if the metal had been stuck together with pigeon s**t!!!!! You know exactly what he means with all that arcing and sparking when the rod sticks in an amateurs hands. Now there's a skill I would like to have - trailer strengthening.
chris

Post by chris »

I hope the bleach won't rot the material....you will only find out after several months!.....What's this new-fangled terylene stuff then? bleach WILL rot cotton.