Painting the inside of a grp moulding

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael4

Painting the inside of a grp moulding

Post by Michael4 »

What would you use to paint the inside of a grp moulding?

It is already painted but I don't know what was used.

By the inside I mean the rough side. I'm after a non-gloss, ie silk/matt finish and something that will tend to 'gap fill'.

Options seem to be bilge paint, garage floor paint, Homebase nasty silk finish stuff...exterior wall paint...or anything cheap!

Suggestions please.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Michael Brigg

Re: Painting the inside of a grp moulding

Post by Michael Brigg »

I used Bilge pain on the "rough" inner surface of a Bristol Flyer 5m motorboat owned by my family. @ 10years later it was flaking off badly. Mind you It had been sitting our in the sun and frost and weather and had a Jet wash 1-2 times a year so in all honesty I would say its been pretty resilient with a nice, grease /diesel resistant finish. It is glossy, but that looks OK on the Chopped mat fibreglass, and there is a range of bright colours or white to choose from.

Where the paint flaked off, it took another coat with virtually no preparation and excellent adhesion. Dries pretty quickly, and fills in the surface well enough but too thick and it will run.

I wouldn't use exterior house paint as it goes all powdery in the wet in the end, and will rub off on everything, and seems very reisistant to any conventional strippers. It is also porous and will stain very badly with even a hint of rust. It is also very heavy. Left damp over winter it can end up with Algae, and your boat will look like an old car on the driveway with a 'SORN' declaration with moss and lichen all over the interior! :cry:

Garage floor sealant is just another form of Epoxy paint as far as I see it. Much the same perhaps as Bilge paint and designed for a similar function.
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

your boat will look like an old car on the driveway with a 'SORN' declaration with moss and lichen all over the interior! :cry:
God, have you been looking in my yard again!
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

The boat in question already looks much like an abandoned caravan, it needs a damn good scrub not having been out of the water for over two years now. Probably draws a significant amount more than when last lifted due to stone worm, muck and barnacles etc. Its mould was taken from a Lowers Newhaven beach boat with lute stern etc, the beach boats used to have quite a big rig on them but this relies on a 20hp Beta. I did try to put a Mirror rig on it for a bit of fun on the run but it didn't really work so I guess there is no way that it is relevant to CVRDA apart from towing...

I shouldn't be rude though, it is ideal for anchoring (inconveniently placed of course) in the harbour on a Sunday so that one can listen to all those posh people from Itchenor swearing at their downtrodden crews while reading the Sunday papers and sipping a diesel tainted glass of wine. (If you have ever volunteered to crew on an XOD or similar you'll know the treatment you get.)
Tideway 206
11+
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Michael4 wrote:...one can listen to all those posh people from Itchenor swearing at their downtrodden crews while reading the Sunday papers and sipping a diesel tainted glass of wine. (If you have ever volunteered to crew on an XOD or similar you'll know the treatment you get.)
I say steady on! :shock: Thats my parents you're talking about!

Tho might even have been me... I regularly volunteered as crew during Itchenah Points week to fill the gap and pay for my cream tea's between Bosham Junior week and Cowes week. X78 Owaissa (press ganged to my parents boat, where the fun was in putting the spinaker up before my Mum could say it was too windy,) or X121 Curlew where I was commissioned to leap overboard and push off whenever the (90yr old) Colonel found another "hump" in the harbour mud.

Happy days. I'd gladly share a dollop of Chateau Deisel (Actually Arthur Purchase's House red) with you and mull over old times.

Huzzah! Makes me come over all "War and Peace." ( Or first Class...Says it all as a British version of Kid Rock "All Summer long/ Sweet home Alabama.")

Michael Brigg
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

You have got to love the way these threads wander about. From painting GRP to First Class via Mosquitos its very educational.
Back to the case in hand ,painting GPR , I would recommend 2k hi- build car primer. You can thin it as much as you like or try to plaster it on neat which will fill any blemishes. its durable and readily available at your local motor factors. not as cheap as some but once its done its done
Sam
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

How does the 2K hi-build primer brush on? and how hard is it? I have often thought of trying this approach, but not been too tempted as I get on well with Jotun Penguard HB, which is a cheap epoxy primer and for that matter would do this job pretty well also.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Regarding the paint, I'l be going for a low cost solution the value of the boat is less than the annual marina fees, will scour the shelves of Wickes first.

Last summer I was out in the Tideway beating down the harbour, starboard tack. Suddenly I hear an imperious voice from a yellow Sunbeam, 'Stay where you are!' Now I knew their race wasn't due to start for another 30 minutes, was bailing at the time and had absolutely no intention of doing anything anyway being on starboard. However being a curmudgeonly old git the divine instruction suddenly forced me into action, tacking suddenly and generally making a nuisance of myself...bah!

Michael B,
You probably know who I am talking about, excellent sailor, she seems to win everything and I do apologise for insulting your family! I'm not sure if Purchases are still around (restaurant shut) but if you come down this way, give us a shout and we can quickly get out on the water in whatever is afloat at the time. Most of my youthful sailing was in bigger boats but I daresay we may have a topic or two from days past to while away the time...
Tideway 206
11+
trebor

Post by trebor »

Ed,
2 PK sets hard, I made the mistake of priming bottom of Sprint, then leaving for several weeks to flat, big mistake, 2 days to get it how I wanted it.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Ed,
Brushing Hi build is easy provided it is thinned a bit and you can work fast. On wood hulls I would normally seal with either epoxy primer or (preferred option) 2k clear coat lacquer Then 3 or 4 coats of Hi build. Sand back flat within 24 hours and then as much or as little additional Hi build as needed to make good then top coat usually I use speed coat one part car paint. I did the cockpit floor on an old Fosrite plastic albacore about 8 years ago and its still good
Sam
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

I've found Danboline admirable at attaching itself to some ropey old surfaces and covering a mulititude of blemishes very effectively - would you buy a used boat from this man? :roll:
GAv

Post by GAv »

I did and have only sailed it once, and that entailed a Ann airlift off the Manningtree Mud. :oops:

Kind regards Gavin. :|
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

GAv wrote:I did and have only sailed it once, and that entailed a Ann airlift off the Manningtree Mud. :oops:

Kind regards Gavin. :|
Indeed you did Gavin - how are you and the boat?

What happened in the Manningtree mud?
GAv

Post by GAv »

:oops:
Having survived a Bypass and being in critical care, a total of 8 weeks after I precurred the 1968 Minisail, followed by 4 weeks off road, all I wanted to do was get out on a motorbike again and sail boats again.
The latter took a bit longer,as the healing process was more lengthy than anticipated.
A year on a relative suggested going for a sail on his yacht, and after helming in a race on the Orwell, felt able to sail a dinghy again.
We had to move from Manningtree, the drawback with renting, so both Minisails were being stored on same relatives farm.
I had also bought a small cruiser on the Stour(as my Mum was in a home for temporary respite).
The relatives were away but I decided to go get the Sprite, once there I couldn't find where the sail was, so brought the Minisail back from just North of Ipswich, to Manningtree, and towed the boat out and left her alongside the newly aquired sailing cruiser, had a nice sit on the cruiser watching the world go by.

I found an old flappy sail next morning, then went back from Dovercourt to Manningtree, took the tender out to the boats,only to find the gold anodised boom tethered to the cruiser mast, was not in evidence .
Undeterred and rigged like a lug sail, the enthusiasm overtook any common sense involved I took off almost literally but also having made a makeshift traveller, it was just too much to control, or go about and definitely not sail up wind. Admittedly I was hanging on for dear life, I don't think she was going downwind any slower than the first Minisprint 2,I had before(as well as a stock Monaco)

I came to a stop amongst the kelp near to the Catawade Railway Bridge and in hindsight would have been better to ditch there, as it is possible to gain access to the Brantham side , then walk down the towpath down to the CO OP on the other side.
The kelp had also raised the rudder and bent the pintail. I was up to my waist in water but at least it was firm under foot.

I managed to shorten the sail tail which had torn, and have some sort of steerage via a tiller , and dodgy pin, set off back thinking I might make it back to the cruiser, after dark, however we came to a dead stop and I realised the tide had beaten us, so punted over the little water and mud using the dagger board, rocking back and forth.

I got the craft onto the bank. The other side from the reedy kelp side.
However the futility of trying to get back onto terra firms on the Club side was apparent,as I walked around what it became apparent is an Island (saw a Mirror heading in to the compound)but my frantic waiving don't alert him, albeit someone on the towpath called over, but then sauntered off.

Even more deftly (daftly)more in hindsight, I had swum across Ardleigh reservoir,after some similar difficulties in my first boat, not recommended with a heart condition,So deciding not to try swimming across the bit of river fast becoming mud was the right one.

Anyway eventually back with the boat getting kinda cold,in only shorts and buoyancy aid,it was dark and yes the trains going into and from the Station might have noted a boat on the bank, but I was more embarrassed .

Eventually I saw a flashlight and to cut the rest of the sorry tail a bit shorter, members of the coastguard waded across with their mud boots, pulled me and craft across the mud to a safe bit.
when asked if I could walk about a mile to a nearby meadow, I couldn't find even the strength to get out of the boat.
So one of my rescuers who had said a Helicopter from Wattisham was standing off, (oh we won't need that )said another, however they, I did need it, so they radioed the Wessex To ask the crew to come in after all and a paramedic was lowered on a winch.

At first he was suggesting my being taken to Ipswch Hospital.
However he then said my vital stats were remarkably good, considering my past medical history.
I have to say I was not only impressed by the efficiency involved, but rather enjoyed the short flight, looking down at the road below in the dark lit up by cars, belted in but with the door was open, and thanks to social media had to run the gauntlet of spectators, as the paramedic helped me to a a sty and some lads helped me over that.

The field was adjacent to a lay by and the partner of the guy who runs a kebab van therein I know,as she and her Mum were careers, who used to came in an hour daily to help with mother, so no doubt the news did the rounds.

After a paramedic off duty but living in Brantham checked me over again the Coastguard drove me back to the Stour SC. Seen here my year younger by a year, than the Minisail,VivaImagehardly anyone was about by then however later I gathered some committee members were having "a session"and had seen the Minisail's sail.
I went back for a bite to eat and a cupper and was at least able to buy some of my helpers some eats and drinks at the Kebab venue.

I still see the guy who does voluntary St Johns Ambulance duties at Classic Vehicle shows, and on Air Ambulance charity bike runs, as well as the Coastguards ,who help with the Harwich Sea Festival.

Anyway after being helped by the sons of the guy I bought the cruiser from, to retrieve the Minisail, and then as to still being a member at Ardleigh SC took her over there.
I had my Firefly in the compound, back then, went out for a sail in her, no lack of confidence, then left the Minisail there and brought the Firefly home for a refurb.

However my Mother came home and there was no real letup to go sailing, she is at 97 is now comfortably looked after in a nearby care home full time.

After deciding not to rejoin Ardleigh, I brought the Minisail home and it sat out front on a trailer, now it's in the back garden with the Minisprint hull.

Last year I bought a Lightning 368, realised I wasn't up to sailing that and resold it, agreed to deliver her to Ardleigh, had a chat with Commodore Jonathan Rubin(had crewed for him in his Holt Martine Merlin Rocket)but he was returning from a CVDRA paddle with his Mark 9.
I saw my old 1957 Proctor one sat where it had been moved to the back of the park, much to my chagrin, being assured during some of the aforementioned health issues it wouldn't be , but after getting the 1960 Firefly, sold Caprice on.

I had some lunch like I used to at the reservoir and then headed home.
Last year I had a Cardio Version after more hospital stuff, but still had the same symptoms so they gave me a pacemaker Defibrillator in Basildon in November.

I am doing another 8 week physio program soon and have used an electrically assisted bike, Imageas again I could not drive for a month before Christmas.Imageas you cannot keep a good man down,seen here looking bulky as to just having bought a new leather jacket, from the Factory shop, so had to wear it over my other one & stopped off during that Boxing Day bike jaunt @ Harwich Sailing Club and there were some hardy types just finished racing Lasers.

So hopefully even though I did sell the Minisail sail(on here) have enough bits to rig(properly) probably the plastic Minisprint.

Ps still have the Firefly Mast and Boom too Chris, anyone?
Last edited by GAv on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Gavin - that is some kind of perseverance!

Glad you're ok...hope a little more luck goes swith you on your next venture out on to the water!