Centreboard case

share hints, tips and experiences
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I've had to accept that I cannot sail my Finn much longer before I have to replace the rotton centreboard case, particularly as I've now found that part of the hog adjacent to it is also rotten. I've taken measurements and I was planning on building a new case before taking the old one out. I also plan to extend the case sides through the hog so that I can seal the hog effectively. The original case is 9mm ply and I was planning on using 6mm for the replacement and copying the 3 reinforcing knees each side. The construction is slightly strange as it has no bottom rails, only a thin plank on each side about 6mm thick at the bottom. I am thinking of doing the same with the replacement.
Does anyone have any comments on my proposals or advice on how to get the case out.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Big hammer...
And when putting the new ply case down through the hog, put a capping piece over the end of the plywood, as otherwise it will (even sealed) eventually allow water to wick up and rot the case from the inside...
Sounds like you've got it sussed, though!
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Thanks Rupert. I had wondered the same about the end grain. The Finn does not have a keel so I think I'll have to let in a small piece of hardwood.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash