Your opinion on the centreboard and cockpit sole refurb...

share hints, tips and experiences
XQSME

Your opinion on the centreboard and cockpit sole refurb...

Post by XQSME »

Took the centreboard out of my '69 Albacore , A bit scraped where it rotates in the box and some paint missing here and there so I have stripped it down.

what is your opinion on either painting it again or varnishing it , varnish as hardwearing as painting? etc?

Also thinking the same for the cock pit sole , if I find the wood in decent condition and varnish it, how might I make the varnish non slip for under the feet.

Opinions on the aesthetics too please...

Regards

Tim
1965 Albacore No 1775 "XQSME"
previous = 1962 Wayfarer W170 "Peter Pan"
Flying Fifteen
Twister
sam mason

Re: Your opinion on the centreboard and cockpit sole refurb.

Post by sam mason »

I always paint centreboards, The centreboard is quite long and as a result, on most waters. prone to grounding and damage. Its easier to spot with paint ( I normally use white) when roll tacking , capsizing etc so something can be done before it gets too bad.
Cockpit floor. I assume that as a 1969 boat yours is a Fairey marine boat . If these can be cleaned up they look very nice varnished and this would always be my first choice. I am of the opinion that if floor battens are fitted non slip is not needed and if they are not there a strip of emery tape works well. The alternative is not to rub down between coats and let the wood fibres stand up making a sort of poor natural non slip.
Varnish durability . use a decent polyurethane varnish NOT YACHT VARNISH which is for varnishing yachts not dinghies and all will be well
Sam
Alb 1188
Alb 5866
Alb 6823 (currently undergoing "The treatment"
Sticky Fingers

Post by Sticky Fingers »

Sam is always considered to be wise beyond his years!
I also would paint centreboards if only its easier to spot weed growth around the board when you are beating to windward. Green weed against white shows up much better than green against varnished wood.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I like a nice varnished centreboard! No reason, save it looks nice.
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Another way to achieve a non slip finish in varnish is to sprinkle a little granulated sugar on the sticky varnish and then wash away when the varnish has dried.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353