Towing

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I am halfway through building up my combi but in the kit there is a security cable - I can't see where it fixes from and to where !! I guess it hooks round the towball but there is a little plate at the other end - should this bolt to the frame somewhere? I just maybe am being dense.
Jools

Post by Jools »

Hi. Without seeing the bits, but if the plate is drilled, I'm guessing it is bolted though the frame when you fit the hitch. If it's not drilled, the cable will pass through the frame or hitch, probably before you fit the hitch which will prevent it falling out when bolted in place.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Thanks for that - will be completing tonight so will sort it out then. The plate is drilled so guess that it is bolted on
chris

Post by chris »

Hurry up Garry - isn't it time you set off now???!!!
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Chris - I have just got the boat on the new combi - it looks very strange perched up high in the air compared to the old trailer. But it's certainly better balanced now (she use to be quite nose heavy) but there looks to be a hell of a lot of boat behind the rear supports on the new trailer - perhaps an optical illusion!!!
chris

Post by chris »

The support on iska - ie the trolley cradle, is just under the aft end of the centreboard case. but it is recommended to have some support nearer to the transom really. If it is possible to rig up another bar with padded block to support about 18" in that would be good. U bolts and steel often available at a local builder's merchant or B&Q etc.
Something you can just add on for a long jouyney to help boat stay in shape!
roger

Post by roger »

Chris and I were discussing this the other day. The Hornet seems to hang a long way out. We both thought that maybe a support that could be added for long journeys would be beneficial. Whether or not I will get round to doing it is another matter
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353