1973 Merlin Rocket

share hints, tips and experiences
BaltoroStickMan

1973 Merlin Rocket

Post by BaltoroStickMan »

We have been given a Rapidity Designs wooden Merlin Rocket. It has been re-decked and painted, and has been out of the water for 8 years. What I have is the hull, mast, boom, sails, spinnaker etc, and a bag containing all the fittings and sheets etc. I have not sailed for over 30 years and am having some difficulty sussing out the rig. Anyone out there able to offer any tips or advice or photos that might help? Keen to get her back in the water asap...
Ed
Site Admin

Re: 1973 Merlin Rocket

Post by Ed »

Photos would help, or a few words on where you are stuck...

1970s Merlins are not normally too complex.

I don't know Rapidity MR2794, but someone else may well do.

Best wishes

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hello and welcome to the CVRDA forum, it's always nice when another classic wooden Merlin appears, particularly when it's an example of design that was pretty rare to start with. The Rapidity design by Tony Watts was his final design and I think that there were only ever three of them built by John Freeman in Shoreham. What sail number or boat name is yours?
Going back to your question about how it should be rigged, it is not easy to answer properly without seeing some pictures of the boat and the pile of bits that came with it. I first started sailing Merlins in 1970 and then as now boats of the same design were often rigged entirely differently depending on owners preferences, crew weight, sailing venue or latest trends on the fastest boats. Depending where in the country you are based there may be someone near you who could come over and look at your boat and help you sort it out, but failing that if you post some pictures I am sure you will get several helpful responses.
Dougal Henshall will probably have some photos that might help and he will probably be quite interested to know of a Rapidity that is still in one piece.
Good luck with getting it together and back on the water, hopefully to appear at a CVRDA event in the future.

Regards

Ian M
Merlins 3097 and 3215
BaltoroStickMan

merlin_rocket_May232016_0003.jpg
poole_May032016_0003.jpg
poole_May032016_0004.jpg
Here are a few snaps of her. Collected from Poole and brought to Cumbria at the end of May. I'll take a few pictures of the pile of bits tomorrow and post them. What a relief to find people that actually know what I'm on with!
BaltoroStickMan

merlin_rocket_May232016_0010.jpg
merlin_rocket_May232016_0007.jpg
And a couple more...
Pat

Post by Pat »

Nice looking boat! What you really need is another local Merlin owner to talk to and look at boats so I'm sorry we're not in your area.
There are two more places to make contact with other Merlin owners in your area - the class website forum http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk and more relevant, the revival fleet Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/merlinrocketrevival
And of course the local sailing clubs.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chris

Post by chris »

A E Watts is still around and has come to a couple of events in the last few years with one of his Wotnots he's restored.
I'm sure he would be interested and helpful.
BaltoroStickMan

Aug102016_0264.jpg
Aug102016_0263.jpg
Down to specifics then! The fore stay seems to have been attached with a fitting using only two 35mm screws. Surprised a more substantial attachment wasn't used? It is missing, so what would you guys use? Here are a couple of photos of the bow;
BaltoroStickMan

Aug102016_0267.jpg
Aug102016_0265.jpg
Also, the rudder is in need of a couple of bits. The bottom transom pintle is missing, but I cane source that easily enough, but surely there must be some sort of latch / catch that stops it riding up when in place? There are three small holes in triangular pattern on the transom between the pintle positions, and a cotter pin & hole on the rudder itself...
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

See ebay item number 172280282235
Matt

Int Moth K2992
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

I never liked those plastic rudder-retaining clips. A piece of shock-cord over the tiller and made fast to the transom knee used to work really well for me but I used to use a fixed rudder on my Merlin.
Best wishes

SB
chris

Post by chris »

I'm sure the rudder retaining clip was stainless...= still available.
Is there an alloy bar under the timber of the spinney shute hole?.. if so just bolt the forestay fitting down through the wood and fix to that.
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

The most common bow fitting was (and still is) the one with 3 holes and the swivel (as still made by Allen), but a 2-hole tack fitting, made of pressed plate with a swivel was also common in that era. I'll see if Ive still got one.
It should be bolted through, and the nuts/backing washers recessed into the underside of the timber structure so that your spinnaker doesn't snag/rip on them, so you'll need a socket wrench to re-assemble.
Isnt she in great nick for an oldie?!!
Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

Two-hole bow fitting found.
It measures 34mm between the holes if that is correct for you?
Let me know if you are stuck for one as I cant see it in the catalogue any more.