guam2250

Vintage Pre-war I-14

Post by guam2250 »

#1 Post Feedback Flag for Moderator
Yesterday, 10:26 PM
guam2250

Rep: 10 Posts: 10
Vintage, lapstrake, clench nailed I-14
Recently acquired, approximately 1937 I-14, in very good condition. I don't want to change anything and would like to be accurate on replacement of missing items. The false floor is missing. Starting at the second rib from the transom, and continuing forward to the mast step rib, are 3/4" square spots on all of the ribs. They start at the keelson(?) and go up each rib to the vertical supports for the seats. The marks were caused by 3/4" wood, which blocked sunlight fading, and spaced every 2-1/2". In the photo, masking tape squares show the pattern. If the 3/4" "stringers" run fore and aft, then what went over them? Keep in mind there are only 5 screw holes, port and starboard, in the same place. If thin boards were fastened to the stringers, they would have to run side to side, or perpendicular to the keelson. There is not too much curvature in the floor shape here, so would it make much difference if the floorboards didn't run fore and aft? Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -MGM
Attached Thumbnails
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Vintage Pre-war I-14

Post by Ed »

Fraid the pictures havn't made it through....

We normally put them on Flickr or somewhere else and then link to them.

Looking forwards to seeing and hearing more

Best wishes

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

I would quess that nothing was on top of your 'stringers'. They would probably be open like duck boards and not really a false floor. Looking at pictures in Tom Vaughan's book of the 14 some, of that period, just had two wider boards ( c.4inches wide) on each side but a shot of two Canadian 14s have more but narrower boards. One has 7 strips c. 1.5"wide each side; the other seems to have more strips but even narrower (maybe 1" wide)
But neither of those boats have side seats and the floorboards don't go too far back but start at about 3 or 4 ft from the transome.

In other words there is no standard anyway. However if yours were 3/4 strips with 2.5" gaps that seems odd. 2.5" strips with 3/4" gaps would make sense though.

In our description of the CVRDA vintage wing you will see a couple of 14s of this period with no flooring. http://www.cvrda.org/wp-cvrda/vintage-boat-wing/

When we see your photo, especially where the screwholes are it may make more sense.
guam2250

Post by guam2250 »

Gentlemen,
Hello again. There has been a posting on my pre-war lapstrake I-14, WHIRLY. It can be found at: http://cbifda.blogspot.com/
Any clues, as to the builder, that helps back the blog opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also, any leads to original gear are also something I'm seeking as all I got was the hull.
Keep seeing comments about group trying organize around the old classic wood 14's. Who would be contacts for this? Thanks for all help, Mark
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Great looking boat, nice website!
Rupert