Magnum 8 restoration

share hints, tips and experiences
exsailman

Magnum 8 restoration

Post by exsailman »

Hi all

I am new on here , but have been looking at the site for ages, well I have been inspired by some of the International Moth restorations that have been done, and managed to locate and purchase a Magnum 8 to start me off.
I thought who would know about this the most, John Claridge of course, so a quick phone call some advise given and WOW i have the last JC/Mervyn Cook designed Magnum 8 and it is his own boat sail number 3913, he has a picture of it on his workshop door.
The boat requires complete restoration, has a hole in the daggerboard case and many unsightly repairs, so bear with me and as I progress with it i will try to keep you all updated, if anybody has any tips or tricks to help, they would be most appreciated.
I am based in Southend on Sea, sailing at Thorpe Bay YC, but just about to move house, hopefully with a workshop to let me carry on bimberling.
All the best
exsailman
Rupert

Re: Magnum 8 restoration

Post by Rupert »

Sounds like an excellent project!
Rupert
bornagainmothie

Re: Magnum 8 restoration

Post by bornagainmothie »

Hi Exsailman,

welcome aboard, always good to hear of another moth being saved. Hope you can come and join us on (or in) the water soon.

There is a lot of moth info amongst these pages, and you might find some more on the Lowrider moths facebook page.https://www.facebook.com/groups/422607964597474/ I know Paul Hignett has been working very hard on his magnum 8 and has posted quite a few photos.

3913 would not be the last Magnum 8, but Magnum 8 was the last Mervyn Cook design before Roger Angell worked with John Claridge to develop the much narrower 9 series.

Cheers

Lyndon