Unvarnished Mirror.

share hints, tips and experiences
trebor

Unvarnished Mirror.

Post by trebor »

I am bidding on a Mirror dinghy, this boat though old isn't finished and never seen water.
I think it only needs varnishing to finish, what varnish is best ? Perhaps another type of finish ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mirror-Sailin ... SwwvZZRWLT
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
jpa_wfsc

Re: Unvarnished Mirror.

Post by jpa_wfsc »

IF the photo on the advert is of the boat you are considering then it has been painted and varnished already. Looks very good, but photos can be very very deceptive. I would not advise you to buy without viewing first.

The sentence about the seams needing sealing is worrying - there is no way they would normally need sealing once the hull has been built. Its possible the kit has only been wired up and never taped with glass tape and resin - in which case most of the work to build her has not yet been done.

Go and Look!!
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
trebor

Post by trebor »

I have spoken to seller, who knows nothing about boats of any description, he thinks from what he remembers original seller telling his brother, (who actually purchased boat) that dagger board case needs sealing to hull.
The photo's were taken the other day, he says boat is as good as it looks.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
TheGuvnah

Post by TheGuvnah »

Curious? How can it have got to that stage of seeming completion without the d/b case being firmly in situ :?: :?:
...well if it was easy everybody would have one.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Any time you get "I'm selling it for x and I don't know anything about boats" you have got to wonder if the reason is that x doesn't want to have to answer any awkward questions.
trebor

Post by trebor »

I will not increase my maximum bid, which is half cost of new sails, will be a bargain for spares alone if boat is rubbish.
Seller seems a decent sort and appeared genuine.
The third from last photo appears to show unvarnished wood on Dagger board case, this is what made me think, 'needs sealing' meant wood needed sealing with varnish.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
TheGuvnah

Post by TheGuvnah »

trebor wrote: The third from last photo appears to show unvarnished wood on Dagger board case, this is what made me think, 'needs sealing' meant wood needed sealing with varnish.
As does the first pic, the case certainly looks unvarnished but by that same token so does the rudder blade. Oddly though, the actual dagger board looks like it's been varnished. If your vendor can take his phone to the boat why not ask him to give the case a few good heaves back and forth and ask him to describe any gaps that move or open up. If he's even half on the ball he should be able to determine whether it's connected to the hull or not. Are they screwed to the hull in Mirrors? Any visible glue line? Any exposed screws underneath awaiting final fitting and fairing?

Viewable? How 'local' is it for you; West Mids to Barnsley?

But...
jpa_wfsc wrote:...but photos can be very very deceptive. I would not advise you to buy without viewing first.
...wot he said.
TheGuvnah

Post by TheGuvnah »

Well there looks to be some serious interest; it's already at £255 with 6 days to run. Hello hello what's this? He's got a Yamaha CP70 up for grabs. 8) 8) If I had the room... :(