Ent mast

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Having got this old Merlin which has a deckstepped alloy mast I was wondering whether it was in any sense an idea to get hold of an old Enterprise wooden mast and extend it to fit to a Merlin (Merlin wood masts are like hens teeth but Ents are relatively common in comparison). Chris is most likely to know the ins and outs of this having scarfed a chunk onto the mast of Terrapin. Or is the Ent mast so totally different that it is just a plain poor idea? Comments and ridicule welcome!!
chris

Post by chris »

The cross section is likely to be lighter on an ent. So, and I'm just quessing here of course, the mast could break in the sort of gusts you get at Clywedog.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Ah....well if anyone knows of any wooden ent masts hanging around.....do let me know.

I would really like one for Conquest - my holt IC. I have been told that an Ent mast should fit nicely.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

I have one that is 20ft (I think, will go and measure) Was told it was off a nat 12 but it is beefier than some of those I've seen. It is in good condition with one exception ...it has a sideways bend due to poor storage I expect. When I was given it I steamed it straight all right but I never put any diamonds on it (which it would have had) and it has taken up a bend again. Next plan is to saw it open and reglue. But I will happily pass it on free to good home.
It's deckstepped.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Bagsy.

yes would be very interested. I am not exactly sure what length I need, but this sounds dead right, I know the luff is 17ft and 3ft sounds like about the right amount of room, it is deck stepped. I will check out and get back.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
chris

Post by chris »

Deal Done!
Are you comming to Chippenham? or could take to Clywedog
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Clyewedog would be best.

Not sure I will be coming to Chippenham. Spent the year sailing on the Sea, suddenly Roadford seems like a rather limited bit of water.

see you there

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
keithr

Post by keithr »

Gusts at Clywedog!!!!! I dont know what you mean??

Your more likely to expereince the banana tack syndrome ( three legs all on the sme tack)

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
chris

Post by chris »

Clywedog it is Ed. (spare masts always useful there anyway!)
By the way I'm looking for a few albi parts.
Transom pintle and gudgeon, kicker, sails, towstraps. if you have anything you want to swap. Any contributions gratefully accepted.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well.....

I most probably can find a Fairey Pintle....and possibly a Gudgeon....

problem is they were made of bronze and tend to be dead dodgy at the joint between the stainless pin and the bronze fitting. I might have one.....but not at all sure how good it will be.....and if I do find a really good one....might not want to loose it as they do break. Certainly the one on J3 has been fixed a couple of times. But I think I might have a rather dodgy one as spair....I will research.

One thing of course that I do have is Iska's log....sitting here in front of me now!

I have been having great fun trying to source ELU blade clamps. One guy burst out laughing when I asked! They are such a weird shape I think that milling a couple would be very hard, so that leaves only casting....either a softish metal....or carbon/silica/epoxy. Carbon seems like best bet.....but of course you would need to make two....and whether they would put up with strain....don't know.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
chris

Post by chris »

The bits on the rudder are fairly modern rather than Fairy bronze. Ie SS things. Don't worry just thought you might have something lying around.

I would have thought an engineering firm could machine a pair of clamps . Their shape could be simlified abit as they just have to form a dovetail wedge. but they would need to balance. Casting could be dodgy if they can't cope with the rotaional force of xxxxrpm you might get the knives flying round the room at high speed!