N1713 Mast - what will stick

share hints, tips and experiences
charlespsmith

Post by charlespsmith »

I have a wooden mast for N1713. It was banana shaped from hanging one way in a barn roof for years. By dint of slacking off the braces and leaving it "the other way up" most of the bend has now gone and I guess the rest will go when the bracing wires are fixed again.

BUT it is split at the glue line for much of its length. Chris and Mark saw it Frensham and suggested carrying the split right through then re-glueing the whole thing. OK - but with what? I used epoxy on the boom with fillers where needed and thats fine but it does not have to be flexible anywhere -= infact better not. Suggestions would be very welcome.

Cheers

Charles

Charles & Sheila FPSC
Charles Smith
JimC

Post by JimC »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by charlespsmith</i>
[re-glueing the whole thing. OK - but with what? I used epoxy on the boom with fillers where needed and thats fine but it does not have to be flexible anywhere<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Epsoxy filled with microfibres will be flexible enough and more...
jonathanR

Post by jonathanR »

Use epoxy, Charles. As one wag said to me about my wooden mast "compression is going to snap it anyway so why worry about whats holding the two sides together!". Oh he of little faith. Will you be towing her over to Wroxham? I will be there for the Saturday with Cygnet.