Finn repair

share hints, tips and experiences
bicrider

Finn repair

Post by bicrider »

Good evening all I have a 1969 Raudaschl Finn unfortunately we are getting some gaps between the planks below the water line. I have given her a good soak in the river and we could still see daylight between in a few places between a few planks afterwards. Has anybody any idea how to cure this. At one stage the boat was painted below the waterline but has been stripped back and varnished. We think think it was probably painted originally and there is a line where it the paint would have stopped. Any ideas if painting would help. If so what paint would be best. It also has a few slightly soft area where it sat on a trolley without a cradle. Thank in advance
Chris Baker

Finn K333
Dart 18 5054
Topper 41558
Faded yellow Pico
PeterV

Re: Finn repair

Post by PeterV »

This is edge nailed strip plank construction, where the heads of the galvanised nails are covered by the next strip. I don't know how best to fill the seams, any ideas from the experts?

Raudaschl Finns were very good and there aren't that many left around. It would be really good to see this one out racing again. Could you please pm me, I like to know which Classic Finns are where?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
chris

Post by chris »

If the galvanised nails are now rusting I would think there is nothing you can realistically do about that since you cannot get to them to remove them. I think I would use epoxy to fill and glue all the strips then epoxy coat the whole hull inside and out.
If it was being made new now and made like you would make a strip plank canoe for instance then epoxy and thin glass Matt , not nails, would be the recommended method.

This should give you a good few years of a sound hull but rusting nails sounds as if it is life limited.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Thanks Chris, much as I'd thought.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash