Pond sealer

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Some time ago a reference was made to using a pond sealer type of "varnish" instead of UCP for sealing before varnishing but I can't remember what the stuff was - perhaps it was Chris who used it on Merlin 36? Any ideas what it is?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are 2, both of which I have used. they are either G4 and V8, or less likely, V4 and G8...I'm in France at the mo, so can't nip out and check. It is available from garden centres. It has a very short shelf life once opened, and gets thicker and thicker even with the lid back on, so don't buy more than you need and expect it to be there when you need it again!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Garry Rupert
The Stuffs G4 Shelf life is't to bad had mine since Christmas and it's still usable.
Ps its far cheaper than varnish lasts better and dries very quickly.
Cheers Al
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Thanks for that and the tip on shelf life - won't order yet then!!
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I think the problem with short shelf life is common to all 'moisture cured' coatings. Certainly true of blakes woodseal.

Sometimes they are OK....and other times they just go hard very quickly...even inside a well sealed can.

I have always presumed this was due to any moisture in air....or other debris that might find its way into can. So best to stick to 'best practice'. Decant, clean lid and don't leave open too long. I also sometimes put a bit of appropriate thinner as a film across top of coating. This works quite well for woodseal, don't know about G4 - yet to trial.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it