To stain or not to stain

share hints, tips and experiences
davidh

Post by davidh »

That is the question - tis a noble thing to do......

Sorry all, a moment of light heartedness, have missed lunch having spent the day stripping down the Unit. What I've found is that the foredeck (down as far as the shrouds), while sound, is badly marked. I would think that it's been left outdoors and has bleached, someone has rubbed (scrapped even) against the grain and it is scored and - to cap it all, it is of different ply to the rest of the boat.

So - does one stain or not - and if so - with what?

Apart from that the rest of the boat looks sound (so far!!) though will need a lot of gear to get it afloat to challenge the all conquering Finns (but then the H'Cap IS 1074!!)

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

What finish are you planning on after? If doing with a one pack varnish, the stained varnishes that Blackfriars make are quite good, and darken down the wood without saying "STAINED!"
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

Lets just say that I've got a smooth surface but a concours job would need a redecking! - I'm not sure yet if the rest of the hull is worthy of that level of investment (I've yet to turn her over).

I'll look at Blackfriars - is this a yottie varnish or one that I'd get more at a DIY store?

Did you like the picture of your moth slipping away downwind in the sunshine?

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Loved it!
Blackfriars is the "yacht varnish" type of yacht varnish you get from a diy store. It is a cut above Homebase "yacht varnish" thuogh!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

Making an educated guess I'd say that the Unit is painted in B&Q 'value' paint, well thinned!!!! I've started work on the hull, and almost wished I hadn't. Currently the boat is a golden yellow, under that is a white colour, beyond that it's 'slime green'!! An afternoons rubbing down and the boat looks like it is in the advanced stages of a very antisocial disease!!

I'll go to B&Q and see what I can find, it will have to be quite dark though!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I don't think B£Q stock it. I've only ever found it in the small independant places (the sort that were call Ironmongers when I worked in one). I'm sure s search of google would find a stockist near you!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

By the way, the finish on Saskia and Whippet are done with the non stained version, so the finish is pretty good, if not up to epifanes standard. Certainly good enough for it to be my poor varnishing making it less than perfect, not the product!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

The Blackfriars is working fine - but even with a dark stain content the decks are so badly marked that I think I could be struggling to get an ok finish. Looking at them again today they've had souch a hammering that the simple solution would be to paint them.... but for now I'm going to try to avoid that.

I can see now how difficult this restoration life can be: does one spend all winter and huge expense looking at redecking and a total rebuild - or else get the boat waterproof and afloat and then sail the thing? Not sure on the answer to that one!!!

BUT- if this mild weather continues then it could just be possible for the Unit to make it's first appearance at Bristol next month!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Get it waterproof and sail it! Then buy another boat and spend all winter, plus all summer doing it up, and still don't finish it because you are sailing the 1st one you did...
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I agree entirely with Rupert. Whilst replacing the centreboard on the Finn I removed the flaking varnish on the foredeck and repainted the hull. With one coat of varnish and primer on the bare deck patches they're now a nice rich reddish colour - but the rest of the decks are light straw colour, presumably where the wood's faded. I was planning on stripping it all down and revarnishing it all, but last Saturday I got fed up with looking at the weather forecast. The ropes, floorboards and toe straps went on and in the afternoon I was happily carving though 4 boats capsized at the gybe mark. Cosmetics can be left to those who don't like sailing!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
davidh

Post by davidh »

Peter/Rupert,

Of course you're right - and that is where (fingers crossed) my efforts will now be focused. I'm a muppet....should have known that for myself from ages past.

Twas way back in the late 70's, I'd moved up into Contenders (from Merlins) and of course wanted a 'nice' boat. Weston was awash with Aussies and Kiwis over here to race against Pitman,Whitfield and the like. To my eye the boats from down under were 'rough', little attention seemed to be given to the cosmetics - yet they were consistently fast. Their foils were spot on and while we were worrying about having a 'concours' finish they were out practicing. Case rests for getting the unit afloat and seeing how it sails. Just let this mild weather run on for a week or two longer.

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

hi David as it's a unit sandtex very tough and long lasting. By the way your handicap will be issued by the handicap committe none of this it's 1074 here remember we only work in double numbers.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Lets see...the Contender sailed off 87, the Finn off 92. Now we have are parameters, which one should it be nearer? Not that it will matter much on the docks - one nice wind shadow, and it will be fun watching David scramble inboard, or blow bubbles!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Glad to see the Finn handicap has been changed after Clywedog (can we get the handicap list updated to suit?).

Is the 92 for old or classic, has it changed to old 91/classic 92 or to old 92/classic 93?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sorry, Neil, I wasn't going by cvrda handicaps, but what they were back in the days when Units might have been seen on the same bit of water as Contenders and Finns. What the cvrda handicap should be for Finns, I don't know, as I've only raced against them on tiny water. If the feeling is they cannot get where they ought to be because of the handicapping (with non finn sailors agreeing!)then we need to change it.
Rupert