Lettering

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Stupid question - but on a vintage Merlin what size (height) lettering for the name on the transom looks subtle enough as befits an elderly lady but can still be seen. It's just one 6 letter word so plenty of space. Any ideas what font type might be suitable. Hoped to do a print out on the PC, trace a line through and paint in gold lettering. But also don't want to make a mess. Not a lot to ask!!
JimC

Post by JimC »

I would have thought about two inches... Font, depends a lot on the name I think, but a default choice would be a nice safe serif font like Times or Garamond. I might be tempted to use a wider font that Times though, maybe something like Bookman. The other decision is whether to have it italic or not...
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Something like <font face="Arial">arial</font id="Arial"> i would say, is proven to be the easyest to read and size i thinkwill just be trial and error.

Greg
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Pat

Post by Pat »

If you want to be really subtle copy John and Lynn and just have a neat emblem - a diving Gannet would look rather good.
One of our club members does the vinyl lettering and it looks good and has taken some wear and tear without any problems. I'm planning to get three of ours done this way soon, including a half cut "Half Cut".
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Someone did suggest a picture of a big fat bloke eating fish and chips!! The Gannet emblem is nice too - may enlist a local artist.