Which Varnish?

share hints, tips and experiences
APB

Post by APB »

I have owned a 13 year old wooden Solo for 2 years and am about to totally re varnish it. However I am not sure what type of varnish was last applied. I have traced the original owner and established that two pot was used when first built. I must admit to be a fan of two pot varnishes as I used them on my last wooden Enterpise to good effect and never had any problems apart from occaisional cracking on the deck after sailing in extreme conditions. I did apply some two pot on a small area of the floor of the Solo when I first bought her and this has been fine. However after rubbing down with wet and dry I applied some two pot thinners on various areas and it has softened the existing varnish! I am therefore reluctant to varnish the entire boat in two pack in case it reacts.

Having done some limited research I came to the conclusion that Blakes single pot polyurethane may be the best option. Further research has established this is no longer available!

I am considering using Blakes Dura-Glass as an alternative as the data I have seen would suggest this is relatively quick drying. The existing varnish is very sound and appears quite hard. Only the edges of the decks are worn through where the cover the cover has been rubbing. I intend to use a roller and tipping brush and apply 3 coats in relatively quick succession and then cut back with wet and dry and polish. Can anyone recommend this varnish or suggest a suitable alternative? Can anyone confirm that this varnish is colourless? I understand this is a urethane alkyd based vanish. What does this mean and what is the difference between this and polyrethane varnish such as International Gold Spar?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
APB

F2996
Grahamd

Post by Grahamd »

Hi I would use Goldspar, its an excellent varnish especially when coated quickly with roller and foam brush, shouldnt need to cut back and polish unless you get dust in it.What number is the Solo i finished 4067 about 13 yrs ago ?
APB

Post by APB »

Graham,

Thanks for your advice. I have just checked the certificate and the boat is actually 15 years old, sail number 3754 built by Tony Thresher.

On another matter I tried to purchase some plastic wood today, which is the two tube plastic padding product with a hardener I have used for years for filling redundant holes etc. Apparently it is no longer made and there appears to be no ready alternative unless you use epoxy!

Peter
APB

F2996
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If it is the pale brown stuff that used to be called Plastic Padding type elastic, it still exists, made by Loctite and called Chip and Dent filler, or some such. Certainly available in motorsave, I know not where else. There is also a 2 part wood filler from Ronseal (I think) which is also polyester based. As for the varnish, I'm not a single pack polyurethane user, as I either go for traditional varnish or 2 pack over epoxy. However, Goldspar will be as good if not better than any other.
Rupert