Help - Glass Fibre Problem

share hints, tips and experiences
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

I have just taken the decks of one of the hulls on my shearwater and found that the bottom half of the hull is sheathed in glass fibre. Most of it appears sound but there is a solid pool of resin and what looks like a crack/delaminated piece just in front of the centreboard case.

I have some small areas of soft wood that I need to sort out on the external surface of the hull but I am not sure whether to leave the glass in situ or remove it. If I remove it, what is the best way as I don't really want to use heat as it may cause problems with the ply laminations.

Thanks in advance

Steve
chris

Post by chris »

If the sheathing is over plywood and timber I would take it all off. All it doing is helping to rot wood.
The chances are that unless any old finish was totally removed it hasn't bonded to the wood and will be quite easy to remove by slipping a chisel under an edge and gradually working it up. (old carving knife also useful). A heat gun may also be needed.
Then you can sort out the problem properly - but don't use fibreglass!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Steve
At some time the boat has been grounded in a hard manner or hit an object. Pouring exccess resin into the hull is used as a get you back sailing fast cure. You will most definately have a crack in not only the hull but also in the plate case. Repair with wood veneer and epoxy.
Cheers Alan Williams
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Well I followed the advice of Chris and Alan and the hull is about 10lb lighter as a result. The whole bottom half of the hull was sheathed with glass.

As a result I found some rotten ply at the joint with the transom. The transom came off a little too easily but I can repair that.

The question I now have relates to the repair of the hull. I know when I asked before, it was suggested I look in the archive. I have looked back through the forum but can't find an archive. I have also checked a few other sites and I can't find the best method.

Is is better to try and remove a layer of veneer at a time but a bigger area each time or just bevel the edge of the hole?

The repair area is all round the old transom joint and I was considering putting a layer of veneer on the inside of the hull to act as a mould and extra re-inforcing and put an epoxy fillet in to make sure water is not trapped. Would there be a problem with this?

Again, many thanks for any help

Steve
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Stephen
I can't see anything wrong with the way you are going about your repair, but would sugest that you make sure everything is bone dry before using the epoxy. Any chance that you could make it down to Roadford for are Meeting.
Cheers Alan Shark41, Nacra 1879, finns 340 424, Dolphin, NOD
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

When repairing veneers, cut the inside and outside layers back further than the middle, and use the middle layer as a glueing surface. you shouldn't need an extra layer inside, though no harm should come of it.
Rupert
Stephen Hill

Post by Stephen Hill »

Thanks for the advice

Alan,

I think Roadford may be a little far for a weekend trip, but I will consult senior management and see what she says.

Thanks again

Steve
Pat

Post by Pat »

Just be sure to make Brightlingsea!!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)