Fading wood

share hints, tips and experiences
DRLee

Post by DRLee »

As some of you may recall, my stunning wooden Merlin 3546 was involved in a nasty prang last season almost immediately following a back to timber refurb. At the time, Kevin Gosling did an excellent bit of work replacing the complete port side deck with a bit of stripey sapele which seemed to match perfectly. Sadly, after sailing through last Summer, the older revarnished decks have faded quicker to an obviously lighter shade than the new one.

One suggestion I've had is to try using a small UV lamp accelerate the fade on the new wood - has anyone ever tried this? Or perhaps I am better off just living with it (she still looks great overall).

Thanks in advance

Dave Lee
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

mmmmmmm.....I would just live with it.

Strange though, what normally happens is the other way around.

The old decks have pretty much faded as much as they are going to, then you match new decks to them and then they fade and of course end up lighter than the old decks.
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Pat

Post by Pat »

This has happenned to a friend's Albacore and he's had some suggestions from his repairer in Poole.
I can't remember what - I believe some bleach sol;ution was mentioned as one option.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well I know of lots of ways in which you could 'fade' or 'bleach' some parts of the deck....

But my suggestion is still "live with it" if you can

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it