Under-cover

share hints, tips and experiences
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have the chance of an undercover from an Enterprise but wondered what the beam measurements would be on an Ent - anybody know? Thinking about it for Gannet and was hoping that the overlaps might be enough to get away with it on length too!!
roger

Post by roger »

Gary any undercover is better than none. We have used a Tasar one under the Hornet this winter ad yes it does look odd with the transom and last two feet hanging out but it certainly keeps the crap off
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Garry,

the Enterprise beam is shown as 1.6m. I'd have thought, after looking at pictures of Gannet, that the Ent max beam may be further forward but otherwise it should be okay

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

We have an old Ent undercover which came with the Lark. We've used it on half cut (6ft 2" wide) and it's a bit tight but better than nothing for keeping dirt off.

I'm just sorting out an order for PointNorth for cover material to include nylon for 3 undercovers as the Ent one was rather falling to bits!
I reckon undercovers shouldn't be waterproof as the water on a wet boat after sailing needs to drain out. What does everyone else think?
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I think that the undercover idea is to stop the muck, stone chips and dirt of towing not to keep water off. Once home you are going to take it off anyhow so after sailing it won't ever be bone dry inside or out until it's removed. It might need a wash regularly. Which material are you using for it from PointNorth?
davidh

Post by davidh »

Garry,

in the end it depends on how precious the bottom of your boat is! I've seen quite a few people have full on undercovers made out of the same material as a top cover to ensure the maximum protection. Of course, this level of protection is all part of the course when you're competing at the top levels in the sport - for us mortals however, a simple stretchy 'lycra' cover - to just keep the worst of the road muck away from the hull, will do just fine.

If you've not got the stick up right now why not turn Gannet over and try the enterbox cover for size - I hope it fits!

D
David H
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Having had undercovers which have filled up with gallons of water (Bruce Banks) I would suggest that if waterproof you have drain eyelet inserted at lowest point. I had to once slash an undercover on Piece of Cake because it was the only way of removing the water. This took place in a howling gale on the A9 North of Perth at about 3.30am. The undercover was so full of water it was affecting the way the trailer was handling and the control of the car. Undercovers are just something to keep the mud off and I feel should not be waterproof. As I am no longer am able to spend Thousands of pounds on boats (due to wife), now a days just give boat a wipe down on arrival if there's time.
Cheers Al
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Alan,

I thought that having a wife did away with the need for wiping the boat down yourself and allowed you to head straight to the bar on arrival leaving her to rig the boat and mop down the decks etc!!! Perhaps I'm wrong........
Pat

Post by Pat »

Wife is just for stitching up holes in undercovers - and earning the money to pay for sailing:D

Garry - NU6 uncoated nylon. And P16 or PC16 for top cover or PC1 if you're doing a laser or being a cheapskate!

They do free sample packs. Ask for S10a - Boat materials. The clothing fabrics are really good too. Lots of fleece and waterproof breathables and all the bits to put them together. Sail and spinny repair tapes, batten bits, piston hanks..... the list is endless.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Just a thought but you can buy car covers pretty cheap - elasticated etc and wondered if that would work out as an undercover. They work out about £25 for a 4m+ size.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

I have just ordered stuff from Pointnorth but have also looked at Kayospruce and feel they might be a bit cheaper - have a look

http://www.sailcloth.co.uk/
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I have used pointnorth and Kayospruce and found Kayospruce consistently cheaper. Kayospruce also feel like a 'boating' operation. In fact if you go there it is quite incredible to see the volume of sailcloth which is being moved all around the world...and how many sailmakers names you recognise.

There is also and ebay seller in the midlands which regularly sell waterproof canvases and plastics at very reasonable prices by the 10m length. I have had samples from them, but never actually bought anything.

I think you did best Garry to resist the temptations of the cheap car cover. Most of the cheap covers (including tarps) are just not worth it as they last so little time.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it