Pegasus Design

share hints, tips and experiences
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Hi!
I was jsut doing some browsing about the Peggie when this line jumped off the page at me..

"The supporting sheets of plywood to this sidedeck form the whole side-deck into a tank, and this, with a foreward and aft bulkhead, also stiffens the boat and gives Pegasus some 500lb of buoyancy when full of water"

from Uffa's memories of the Pegassus.

Does this mean the Pegasus was designed with a stern tank? Or Is this the reason why the side tanks do not reach the bow tank and so have separate bore bulkheads?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Don't know....

but very few Uffa Fox or Fairey boats have full length side-tanks going all the way from bow tank to stern (tanked or not).

I have often looked and wondered why not....it would be simple enough and would provide much more bouyancy and a fair bit more rigidity too.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
hayes

Post by hayes »

In my opinion 500lbs of lift may sound alot, but its not in the right place really. Lower in the hull would have been better but nay affect the stability!

The the side tanks stopped short on the timber boats to give a small storage area each side. Great for beers and choc bars but would be better as part of the buoyancy tank!

Cheers

Andy
Keeper of Pegasus records
Pegasus 1
Pegasus 81
Merlin 3474
Gibsea 282