Holt mast step plate

share hints, tips and experiences
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hello again,
Six months later and E6013 is nearly ready for varnish - looking very swish with her new transom et al. Thoughts are moving towards fittings and rigging and I have a question regarding the mast step.

I have the SS plate on a wooden block type (HA/4324) but the block is perished and the plate is as dished as a fruit bowl. I see lots of Ents with the plastic block step, but before going that way I am trying (so far without success) to find a replacement plate. Does anyone know if they're available anywhere or should it go on the Beaulieu list?
Once again, your advice is much appreciated.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Is it not possible to make a wooden or tufnol block and put the rectangular hole through for stepping. You could make up a new stainless plate and screw it in place - Folkestone Engineering supplies could help with the SS sheet. Very helpful guy for lots of small orders - have used him for loads of bits and if asked nicely he has done me some drilling etc to make up bits for a small charge.

http://www.metal2models.btinternet.co.u ... uemenu.htm
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Totally agree about Folkestone Engineering.

Great Guys.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Wet and Windy list them in their mail order catalogue.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
nick clibborn

Post by nick clibborn »

My old I.14 had just a wooden block as a mast step. Over 40 odd years this had eroded to a vague hole in which the mast heel sat ( and wriggled around at will). I got two thicknesses of s/s plate and cut a mast step sized hole in them, and then screwed them over the wooden base. Works very well.

If you want to go the cheap plastic way, get a chopping board and cut to size.

Nick
keithr

Post by keithr »

i may have one in my misc bits box, I will have a look
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Ed - trailer on ebay for the Firefly - possible?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trailer-for-Dingh ... dZViewItem
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Thanks all, I will make the wood base and order the plate from Wet and Windy.

I have often admired the hardwood chopping boards in our kitchen whilst chopping the spuds - will look at the nylon ones differently too now :-)
cheers
Lorry
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

That is so close to my trailer that went walkabout....I thought it was it for a while.

As it happens.....I have bought a combi on ebay last week. Not galvanised.....horrible metal hubed trolley wheels.....but it is a combi.....it is the right length....and it cost me 130quid.

Is their a catch.....well maybe that there is a Miracle on top of it at moment. Going to put that on beach and totally ignore it....promise....really am....kids can do what they like with it.

After seeing 3 or so combis go last week on ebay for 4-500 quid it is certainly cheaper to buy one with a boat attached. There was also a 505 that looked like it was going dead cheap, which I was very tempted to buy to get a combi for the Jollyboat.....left that ....one thing at a time.

I am still looking for a trailer to go pick up my mkVIII Merlin though....so am still looking.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

FYI

Wet and Windy were very helpful but explained that the plate is NLA and should be removed from their website/catalogue. They did however give me a name at Holt who may have been able to help.

In the end I sourced a slightly less dished replacement which is now serviceable after some "encouragement" with 'old faithful' (my old and large copper hide mallet).

Next job is to work out what make the spars are so I can sort out some spreaders that fit. Pics at http://enterprise-dinghy.blogspot.com/ if you fancy a look. Cheers.
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

Some of the fittings are similar to those used on Needlespar masts, but the shape doesn't quite look right. Doesn't mean it isn't one though.

You might do better to try and source a mast off another boat that has gone Viking.

You are unlikely to be able to get spreaders to fit that without major surgery.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Z spars were nearly all black anodised in their early days. The boom though looks like a Proctor Seldon. At one time you could order any colour for anodising you liked providing you paid an extra charge for it.
Cheers Alan
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alan,

I'm not so sure that you're not looking at an IYE stick in those photos. Hmmnnn... they did used to be popular with the blue sails!

They also used to use heel plugs on the foot of the mast - some of them the size of a beer mat and about 1/2" think. leave your mast out of the boat for too long annd passers by started to throw coins into the void left by the heel plug........

D
David H
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

I emailed the link to Hawk Marine (owners of the Needlespar business) who deny it being one of theirs but suggested an early Proctor or a Holt Allen.

The mast section is similar enough to a D+ to (probably) allow using their 'original' spreader sytem but the price of that lot new is about the same as used complete mast! Plus I'd end up with 8 rivet holes close together all in just the wrong place.

I'm now thinking I'll see what's at the jumble on Sunday and modify/bodge-in some longer/fatter spreader bars to get it as close as poss to a generic SS/Seldon type geometry.
Lorry
Brookesy

Post by Brookesy »

Could not do the link thing but there is a a mast for an Ent on Boats & Outboards, ad currently three days old for £40.
GBR74 ex custodian of
GBR384 Mickey Finnale (Taylor,wood)
GBR455 Rubber Duck (Taylor, grp)
FD GBR350 Supercalifragalisticexpialidocious