Handicaps

General chat about boats
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

alan williams wrote:
As for Cats the only really big Scaryone at Roadford is mine and I have never intimidated another boat let alone hit one.

Yeah right. Can I remind you of the Tideway v Shark encounter a couple of years ago.....I felt very intimidated by the Shark when it went past....3 times I seem to remember as you lapped us again and again.

It was so scarey I nearly dropped my cake and spilled my tea.

At least we beat you on handicap.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

I found the Shark quite scary around the start line even though i think we had seporate starts everytime i looked away u would appear in front of me again! lol , although it was my first big race ( i mean more than 10 boats) and i was only 15 at the time

Greg
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Thats not intimidation thats just being Quicker Neil. We do not prowl the start line like something out of Jaws. However the is a reponsiblity to clear a line for another classes start, but even so we have never really pushed this. The Shark at Roadford due to the lakes sizes is only ever at about 80 % of its potential speed.
Cheers Al Great White Shark 41 I can hear the Jaws theme playing already
Pat

Post by Pat »

I like the idea of a log book and the online database is easy enough (it's doing them 9-5 pays for my sailing after all :) ) The handicaps recently have been a good start as I've used previously recorded info to set them - what did he sail on the last times he was out....... and including racing history ould be useful.
It also raise the CVRDA credibility.
As for liability, the DVLA isn't liable for a vehicle because of its logbook - that takes an MOT and we're not going there!
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

Pat wrote: As for liability, the DVLA isn't liable for a vehicle because of its logbook - that takes an MOT and we're not going there!
Haha a boat MOT now that would be funny!!
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Called a buoyancy test, isn't it?
Hooray, the forum is back!
Rupert
chris

Post by chris »

yes, a generous py should not suggest it is worth sailing a boat that is so derelict it's unsafe!
davidh

Post by davidh »

I agree about not sailing a 'wreck' but...... the fact remains that there are people out there, who will use their knowledge of boats and more importantly, the handicap system, to if not actually 'abuse' the system at the very least manipulate it.

Many years ago, there was such a group who took a National 18, did it out as per the latest spec high performance dinghies of the day and set themselves up as the ultimate in handicap banditry.

In those days there were a number of big handicap events to compete in - the Pompey Perisher being just one such event. Now at the time I was sailing a 505 with David Pitman and we were just about the DBs boatspeed wise (eg - we won the Burnham Icicle that year, when it was the premier winter event.... Tillys Tiller......1st 505 at the Bloody mary) yet we got thrashed out of sight on handicap at Portsmouth by the 18.

It's not sour grapes, but as an example of what can be done to skew the handicap system, well, there it is.

It is one thing taking the 'michael' out of a certain boat over its handicap, but we all know that there are boats that are well sailed and therefore are rightly the winners - great, well done to them.

But a determined, planned assault needs to be identified - and 'nipped in the bud'!

To date - we've not had to really face this issue.... buit it is there, all the same!

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

chris wrote:yes, a generous py should not suggest it is worth sailing a boat that is so derelict it's unsafe!
Remember that scorpion sailed by the lad with dreadlocks a few years ago at roadford. It was so waterlogged it took five of us to lift it off the trailor :shock:
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

that Scorpion sums up what the CVRDA is about though....an old boat, having lot's of fun and enjoying yourself. I seem to remember he came 3rd in his class as he started (and finished) every race.

And he was offered sails, fittings etc if he needed them.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
chris

Post by chris »

Yes I quite agree, encouragement for a boat like that scorpion is exactly right. I seem to remember that it also got a few ribbons in the 'I want to take it home' category of the concours pecause people fancied restoring it - a great reason!

There was also a very elderly ent that had been extracted from someone else's shed and sailed just as she was. I think they were inspired to resurrect it too after that.