Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Please stop teasing!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

OK.

sorry, I just wanted to have a last look and countup.....but lets go with my first count. If there are any mistakes, I know that I can count on you guys to point them out.

Rupert Whelan 54
Neil Witt 49
Andrew Richardson 45
Dick Johnson 41
David Child 39
Mark Collyer 33
Chris Barlow 26
Jim Champ 20
Rod Mincher 17
Stuart Budden 12
Nathan 8
Tom 4
Phil Rushton 2
Crawford 2

You all did jolly well.....I think a few performances need a few special words though. Rupert....that was incredible....you are obviously every bit as much of an anorak as I am....and own much the same library.
We all look forwards to your quiz next year. Mind you I promise that making one takes even longer than answering one.

If the prize went for the apparent 'depth of research' then the prize would go to Neil, who not only provided the answers but a detailed essay on each topic including all dates, names and places (as well as maternal mothers grandparents name and what they had for breakfast that day). I have no idea where you got this level of information from....you must have a completely different library to me.....Incredible! I am really looking forwards to reading what you find out about the vintage ICs.

Jim Champ gets a mention because he filled his out before I had even checked how the links were working. I was testing it late at night....and bang before I could test it myself, I get an answer from Jim....who immediately pointed out some of my weeker questions.

So I guess that Jim didn't do much research, but new it all anyway....as I suspect did Dick Johnson (Classic Int I4 organiser) and if so that is a very good score indeed. Well done to all you others who did it without too much research....maybe next time we will have a quiz at an event with no looking up.

Well done Andrew Richardson, if your Jollyboat is anywhere as good as your knowledge of classic dinghies....it will be a stunner.

David Child....I don't know, but well done....do you sail classic? if so ...see you there.

Anyway as I said it was a sterling effort by all.

In terms of marking I was pretty lenient and if it looked like you knew the answer I gave it. So for instance if you said (as someone did) to the trapeze question that the first class was the Int 14, after seeing it on the Rater....you would of got the mark, but if you just said Int 14....you didn't.

Hope this all makes sense.

If any of you want your entries emailed back with the scores attached, just say and I will post them back

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks, Ed!
As for the next one, how about Sat or Sun night at Roadford? That gives me 8 months to write it!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

yeah....that might be an idea....although I do quite like the element of research and deduction that this kind of quiz gives. Especially for the boat-recognition questions.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Mark

Post by Mark »

David Child....Is that the Merlin sailor from way back ?
Nice to see Rob Mincher entering from the 'States'
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ed, quite happy to do the questions for 2 quizzes at once, and set the 2nd next xmas, like this one. research into questions will throw up ones I deem a bit obscure for a non book quiz! I agree, the boat recognition ones were the trickiest, and the least "googleable". Look forward to making you sweat next time!
Great to see some new names on the list of entrants - don't be shy, say hello!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thank you Ed for putting us out of our misery, now all we have to put up with is Rupert COLLECTING EVEN MORE obscure boat knowledge - much family fun, I am sure...
:xKathryn
Rupert
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

ooops, mutiny (sp?) in the ranks rupert?:D[:p]
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Well done Rupert. With all this talk about libraries how about we put together a CVRDA bibliography?
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Good idea. sounds like something that should be done on email - maybe people could send one of us an email each with favourite books (with brief description of contents) to be compiled and put on the web? If anyone needs details on a certain subject, they could then pick the brains of the owners of books on the subject (Neil, by the sound of it!). Judging by Kathryn's last post, I am NOT the person to be doing this!
Rupert
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I'm happy to collate.

If it's easiest I'll do my small collection first, post it up then anyone can email me any additions.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

great Idea....although the idea sounds like a fair bit of work to me.....depends on how many you have....but I have got quite a few...

If we do this can we put it into some easily exchangable form....as it will be a growing thing.

Preference would be for an excel worksheet as its simple....

but a small Access database could be more versatile....just not so sharable.

talk later

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Ingo

Post by Ingo »

If it helps you, i can provide a bibliography database (for free, of course). Look at
http://www.fky.org/prestodata/search.ph ... nguage=eng

The database is highly configureable. What has to be discussed is which metadata-fields are needed. We have at the moment:
Author
Title
Subtitle
Year of Publication
Keywords
Language
Sequential number (to identify a record)
Publisher
Text (longer Description)

I would suggest to extend it with
ISBN
Weblink (sometimes there may be a scanned copy available in the net)

There's a user management (for the editors), web-based edit masks etc. And even existing datasheets can be imported.
Installation on your server is simple (i just need an FTP-account, a MySQL Database and PHP). Only condition is that we may include a copy of the database later in our german yachtsports archive.
JimC

Post by JimC »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed</i>

So I guess that Jim didn't do much research, but knew it all anyway....

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Research? We were supposed to do research? :-))
chris

Post by chris »

Many thanks, Ed for a bit of fun over Christmas. (though lois did shout up " don't be boring, come and talk to us" a couple of times!)

I'm thinking of putting a short quiz together for the shearwater event. Probably in the pub/meal on Saturday evening, which is also our Spring Social. Group effort for each table - no reference books allowed!!! More general knowledge of Old Boats than specific CVRDA stuff I think.
Thanks again,
Chris