sailing later in the year!

General chat about boats
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

While lots of people are looking at the forum, I thought I'd put my fixtures hat on and look into the future! Most of the programme is now set, with events up on the main site. However, there are 2 things (at least!) we need. Firstly, we need a volunteer club (and organizer) to run a winter dinner and prizegiving, and a frostbite event. I would suggest that November worked well this time around!
Secondly, while most events supply their own race team, Roadford (August B/H)does not. After sticking my oar in rather too many times over the last several events, I've said I'd be PRO, but I will need help! I hope rescue is covered by Roadford, but we will need 2 helpers to time the boats round the course, and a computer able person to get all the results onto Stu's very clever sailwave system. Also, I expect help taking entries would be welcome, though I don't think this falls under my remit. There is plenty of time to think about all this, but if you are coming to Roadford without a boat, your assistance will be welcome! No previous experience necessary!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Rupert
Seeing as you are so good at sailing these boats and with the results of the quiz you seem to know more about them than most I am sure a little bit of single handed OOD will be easy.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks Roger...let me see, what was the finishing time of that Hornet again?
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Going so fast you missed it?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

now, now children.

So what's my handicap gonna be in the canoe? Thought I'd give you plenty of time to think about that one !!:D
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat
roger

Post by roger »

Depends whether youve mastered tacking and gybing by then.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Wot......you mean you've got to go round corners? I thought it was for going in straight lines only :D

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Timed speed sailing on the Sat for all the Canoes, Jollyboats etc? Hope we can get some idea of speed of Canoes at Mayflower? Maybe not you, Stu, as you may be chained to the changing table...
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hooray, I've just become Average! A step up for me, I can tell you! Did you know you can't post again till 60 secs have passed?!
Rupert
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

I think the average status is awfull, I'd rather stay starting I think. The 60 sec rule is so that the forum cannot be attacked by some git auto posting all the time - a denial of service attack I think it's called.

as for speed whilst on the water, we could always do what uffa did in the Jolly and use a radar gun (u read the answers to the quiz!!) or more proboble is a hand held, waterproof, well insured GPS. I really hope to make it to Plymouth this year, it will be the first time I'll have sailed the cvrda event.

Changing table..........Ooooo I look forward to that :(

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Tee hee! Nappies are roughly as bad as you imagine them to be, though the poo in the pants(Pippa's, not mine) when potty training is worse... BTW, do you think the navy would transport a frigate to Roadford to do the timing?
Kathryn and I are hopeing to dump the kids at my parents and do Mayflower in Saskia, as we need to learn about sailing on the salty stuff. Might make it beyond Noss Mayo this year!
Rupert
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

Rupert

Is that the Royal navy, or are you refering to the Bremner navy

Now... sailing in the salty stuff:

It's fantastic..............

Neil has got various GPS we may be able to guage speed at various events. If it's windy enough for a canoe to really fly I may be on the centreboard more than the seat.

Just a little too much nappy information for me....thanks:(

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

make bow waves not chat
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I have always has this vague dream of trying to organise a classic-dinghy speed trial.

Idea would be to put it on if it appeared too windy to actually do some racing at Roadford.

Details all very vague....but I would ask Neil (who is an expert in such things) to accurately position two boats and two marks at EXACTLY quater of a mile appart, and as near as dammit across wind (of course this would need to be adjusted through out event).

You would be given (or purchase at small price for charity) a time slot of 5-10 mins (with no more than 2/3 boats on each time slot. You would then have that time slot to try and get a good run in. It could be either only run one way....or you have to do two runs, one each way...or a there and back with either gybe/chicken-tack at the other end.

Timing would depend on the type of run. if you were being measured one-way it would need timekeepers at both end (one to start and one to time) but if done as a there-and-back then it would be very easy to do.

If you don't like your slot...or feel you could do better, then you can always buy another slot.

What do you think....I have always thought it would be a gas. It would give the big fast boats a fun time, but there is no reason why handicaps could not be used to give fairer results across the whole fleet.

For myself I suspect it would come down to a little skill and a whole lotta luck (sorry listening to Led Zepelin). If you were lucky enough to get a big squall and the skill to make the best of it, I think you would be bound to do well.

I have always been curious to know just what speed I was doing....and this could be organised to easily give you results in average knots or something. It would be a gas....but it would need a little wind to make it work.

What do others think?

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

I've always been a fan of this idea of yours Ed. I've always envisaged over canvassing a boat of some description to get it to really, really fly.

Personally I would like one way timed runs (I could be doing it in a canoe!!)

But.....I kinda reckon that after the boats last year that sailed at roadford it would have to be pretty damned windy for people not to race.

Listening to Led Zep - I am sorry, you will get better one day. Led Zep are a constant battle in our house, I detest them Lizzy loves them!!

I'm currently listening to Monday nights Mark Radcliffe (radio 2 10:30 until midnight) show on the web, which is just about to finish. Then I will either listen to Eliza Carthy's or Nancey Sinatra's new album (fabbo xmas prezzies!)

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

make bow waves not chat
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I vote for Led Zep. I think a timed run would have to forget handicapping (absolute speed is the thing) but maybe we could have minor length catagories for Firefly and 12 sailors, Merlin and peggie sailors, etc. As we would be comparing speeds as well as going for absolutes, we could do it in fairly moderate weather. Wouldn't be good in a force 1 though!
Rupert